woo hoo, finally got a bike!

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by AVengeance, Jun 16, 2009.

1. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

Just purchased a Kawasaki Ninja 250R. $5k with all the "other stuff" since this is my first one, including helmet (Scorpion EXO 1000), overpants (bug splats on work clothes is not cool), gloves, etc.

Went in and took my permit test Wed. morning, and passed on 1st try with an 88%. I got nervous when some guys that were in front of me were told they missed 8 :mamoru: and 11 :noes: . I was relieved to hear I'd only missed three. Whew! So anyway, that afternoon, went and picked up a brand new Diablo Black Ninja for $3850! Yea yea, the LITTLE one. I figure with 60+mpg, it'll be a great starter bike for me, and I can sell it and pick up a bigger one next year.

I'm trying to break this bike in "nice", but good God, the revs are high at highway speed (manual says keep it under 4k at first, then under 6k for a while). Does anyone else here have a 250, 500, or 650? They're all fairly similar, and I'd like to know if anyone has swapped out the rear sprocket for a smaller (taller gear ratio) one for lower RPMs at highway speed. I'll be using the bike for commuting, not pretending I have a race bike, so I'm interested in all the MPGs I can squeeze out of it.

So far, I love the new bike, and despite the fact that it'd been about 10 years since I'd been on one, I picked it right up.

2. Shorty

Shorty New Member

I tell everyone getting on a bike to just never under estimate it (power) but it is ALWAYS there no matter what your displacement is ... we got power to weight on our side big time .

Buying my 600 was pretty crazy to be honest .... cashed out went to the dealership chose the all black one and had em prep it .... then, even expecting it, shit my self sideways riding it home .

But its really easy to adapt to the power and it just turns into the greatest shit ever too....nothing like being one with the bike.... with all that power, espically on the street, there is an endless amount of it seems.

winding that bitch out to 160 in a jiff was fucking one of the sickest things ever, damn thing shifts so quick and smooooth too <3

But yeah, good call on that smaller rear sprocket out back for the 250r i tried googlin up sprockets found some looking to gear down instead of up.

I was really thinking of a 250r ... went to the dealership and looked at one .... i knew i had room for alot more, the 600 was perfect for me...

im sure youll get more used to it .... on my 600 i thought stock gearing was perfect...by 5000 miles i was definetly ready for gears:hsd:

3. EvanD

EvanD Active Member

congrats man

bitches love the bikes

4. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

On taking the bike home:
    I had my daughter with me (who is now licensed to drive), so she could have driven the car, but... nah. I did the prudent thing and TRAILERED it home. I had just gotten my permit, and hadn't really been on a bike in a long time, so I figured better to swallow my pride than order a new fairing (or worse) for a brand new bike.

I've gotten the hang of it already, and I think we like each other ;) It's only done a few unexpected things, and they were all my fault (like too much throttle on a left turn, because I had my wrist up a bit- oops!). Still, haven't laid it down (yet?). It's a commuter bike, so I won't be playing Jonny Badboy on it. I've already got 300+ miles on it, and am trying to keep the revs under 7k- which is hard, and which is why I really want that taller final drive ratio.
    My gloves and overpants finally came in, so I'm fully armored.

Now I just need to keep learning the bike and work on my mad skillz. :rofl:

5. pew pew pew

pew pew pew OT Supporter

changing the sprocket on a 250 is gonna make it lethargic as hell. those just aren't highway bikes, just not enough power.

6. mtnbikekid08

mtnbikekid08 Aime-moi moins, mais aime-moi longtemps

The bike has no power anywhere. Leave the sprockets where they are. If anything, gear down.

7. 7960

7960 New Member

:ugh:

that bike is faster and quicker than 90% of the cars on the road.

8. Shorty

Shorty New Member

double :ugh:

orly? shut up noob.

9. Shorty

Shorty New Member

:rofl: @ any douche comparing a bike to a car.

10. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

quicker? sure. faster? not at all.

my 1990 Integra, with 163k on an engine that originally made 130hp, is faster than it - meaning the top speed is considerably higher. on the other hand, the 250 is considerably quicker - has a much shorter 0-60.

11. mtnbikekid08

No trust me, that bike has no power. It makes maybe 25hp to the wheel, and can barely out-accelerate your typical minivan even when you're cranking it open.
    Maybe it can beat a crappy 83 toyota pickup, but against the 250hp minivans and cars, it barely stands a chance. Hell, a Minivan has a higher HP to weight ratio than a ninja 250.
    I have ridden my friend's 250 enough to know this. You ride a Harley, so unless you have several hundred miles+ of experience on one, don't talk.

12. 7960

7960 New Member

yep, you're right. I shouldn't have included faster.

correct.

a stock ninja 250 does 14 second quarter miles. how many unmodified cars can do that?

I don't have several hundred miles on one, but I do have a few rips up and down my street on one...enough to know it can out accelerate most cars.

13. mtnbikekid08

It can out-accelerate most older cars, but any car with over 200hp is going to beat the 250.

14. pew pew pew

pew pew pew OT Supporter

:rofl: you guys comparing bikes and cars.
    on the highway the bike is going to be slow and feel slower than a car. poor aerodynamics and low HP. only gets worse with more speed. drag racing yeah itll be fast cuz it has less weight to get moving... physics kids

15. mtnbikekid08

Of course it's physics, but you are getting it wrong. The acceleration of the vehicle depends on it's mass and the amount of power it generates, and aerodynamics must also be factored into the equation. So a ninja 250 making 25hp weighing in at 350 pounds wet, with a 150 pound rider is going to have a HP/weight ratio of .05. Take your average car weighing in at about 3,000 pounds, and a 150 pound driver only needs to generate 157.5 horsepower to have an equal HP/weight ratio. Now aerodynamics must be factored in when going faster as well, so on the highway a more aerodynamically efficient car with an equal hp/weight ratio will accelerate faster than a Ninja 250. Now we take a GSXR1000 making 150 horsepower to the wheel, weighing about 480 pounds, with a 150 pound rider, and you get a HP/Weight ratio of .238. For a car to equal this, weighing 3000 pounds and a 150lb driver, it would have to make 750 horsepower. And you take a turbo busa making 300hp and weighing in at about 670 pounds with rider, it would take a 1410 horsepower car. In other words, get a turbo busa.

16. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

Okay guys, stop fighting in my thread :fawk:

I don't want to drastically change the gear ratio, I just want to bump it slightly- like just 1 or 2 teeth smaller in back. I'm not interested in mad powa or I wouldn't have gotten the 250. If I need to climb a hill with the taller overall ratio, I can just downshift to 5th. All I'd be accomplishing with the rear sprocket change is a slightly lower RPM in 6th and a slight drop in rotating mass. That's it. All going well (I don't kill myself on it) I'll trade it to a bike newb in a year and step up to bigger bike.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  17. Shorty

Shorty New Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

you are a retard... a ninja250 makes more than 25 hp to the rear wheel, and the gsxr1000 doesnt make 150 to the rear wheel either:rofl:, it makes less.

pretty sure you're just an idiot that tryed paying attention in science in highschool:mamoru:

18. mtnbikekid08

I'm sorry dumbshit, but yes the 250 makes about 25hp, and the GSXR makes about 150.
    http://www.factorypro.com/dyno/true1.html
    There you go you little fucktard, shove that up your ass. Next time do some research before you open your dumb-fuck mouth.
    Jesus christ, some people are retarded these days. I'm sorry you cannot comprehend the basic math I put down, but next time don't talk until you have something to back what you say.

19. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Considering the bike does 14 second quarters, 0-60 in 5.75 and tops out a bit over 100 mph, yes it can handle highway riding just fine for the average sized rider. If you're over 240-250lbs, then it's time to look at something in the 500-600cc range.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  20. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

so much bad info in this thread...

leave the bike alone, don't change the sprocket, just ride it and enjoy it for what it is...
    i average 59mpg... 1/2 highway, 1/2 city driving... if i do all highway, I'l get about 54-55mpg, if you do all city, around 64-65mpg... changing the sprocket might net you an extra 1 or 2mpg... but the money you spent changing the sprocket you won't save on gas for a very long time...

this coming from a 250 owner...

21. pew pew pew

pew pew pew OT Supporter

1/4 mile times and perceived speed are totally different. a bike is going to run out of steam as it gets faster, especially at highway speeds and above. itll feel fine around town doing 0-45 but 45+ its going to feel increasingly slow from drag. a car is much more aerodynamic and is going to feel like its picking up momentum as you get faster to a certain point.

22. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

I'm not that fat, damn! I'm just 170lb, and maybe a couple extra pounds, with my lunchbox strapped to the rear seat.

23. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

You'll be fine then.

People are riding the ninja 250 all over the damn place on highways so the naysayers are just blowing smoke out of their ass.
    It's even being used for iron butt certs with people riding the things across the country.

24. 7960

7960 New Member

:rofl:

no.

25. 7960

7960 New Member

and how it "feels" doesn't mean shit. my harley doesn't "feel" like it's accelerating very quickly (and compared to sportbikes, it's not), but put it next to 90% of the cars on the road and you can SEE that perception is not reality.