Won't start..

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Chris951, May 1, 2007.

1. Chris951

Chris951 New Member

My 87 mustang wont start. I went to start it the other day, and the key just turns. It turns farther than It should also... The motor doesn't crank and the power doesn't come on. What is the problem? I think it's the ignition where you put the key in the steering column but I don't really know. Can someone help me out? I would very much appreciate it.

2. Chris951

Chris951 New Member

Anyone?

3. cooly

cooly OT Supporter

Do the headlights work? If they don't the problem is probably at the battery. Try cleaning the terminals and starting it. If that doesn't work you can try jumping the battery. If it still won't start you could have battery connection problems or a bad battery.

4. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

It's possible you killed the cylinder, I killed the one in my 86 blazer, I had to setup some toggle switches to turn it on/start it.

5. Chris951

Chris951 New Member

Yeah the headlights work. I really think it's in the steering column where the key goes in. But I don't really know.

6. Chris951

Chris951 New Member

bump

7. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

when you turn the key does it click? do you hear a whirring sound when you turn the key?

if it doesn't click it's the solenoid. if it clicks and it doesn't turn over it's the starter motor. If it doesn't click and doesn't whirr then it is either the starter or the igintion lock. To figure out which one you would have to run a wire from the battery to the hot lead on the starter to see if you can get it to turn that way. if it will turn then you will have narrowed the problem to the ignition cylinder.

8. Chris951

Chris951 New Member

It doesn't do anything when I turn the key. But my neighbor came by toiday and took a look at everything and the ignition in the column where the key goes. A piece broke off so there was no contact. So my neighbor told me to go to a junkyard and find a new one.

9. Chris951

Chris951 New Member

So does anyone know what this part is called? I can take pics if needed.

10. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

ignition cylinder. you'd be better off having a new one put in and then having a locksmith make it fit your current keys. although a locksmith might be a ble to do the same wit ha junkyard one.

11. Chris951

Chris951 New Member

This?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Oh and the little white square thing, the other piece that contacts to it to start the car was broke off.. that's why It wouldn't start .Because when I touched the broke part to the piece that is wired in the pic (I circled in red), the car power would come on. So I know it's that. So we're just gonna buy the whole thing from a junkyard.