COMIC WonderCon

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by CabbieNamedAxel, Jan 27, 2008.

1. CabbieNamedAxel

CabbieNamedAxel OTCC|SF OT Supporter

Alright, so WonderCon is coming up, and now that I'm getting more and more into comics, I was interested in going. Never having been to convention, whats it like? Is there any protocol, anything I should look out for or bring? Should I buy something and try to get signatures?

Haha, Straczynski will be there, I should get him to sign OMD.

2. DoctorDoom

DoctorDoom Doom always keeps his word. OT Supporter

I've never been to Wondercon, but I hear it's a good one. It's actually run by the same people who do the San Diego Comic-Con, but on a much smaller scale. It should be a good one for you to check out since it's not as crazy as other cons, but some big stars still go.

1. I'd say think of an amount you want to spend, and then realize you'll probably go over it unless you really stick to your budget.
    2. Artists will usually do sketches for a set price. The bigger names might set a cap on how many they'll do each day, so if there's someone you really want art from, go to them first.
    3. If you'd like to get a signature from your favorite creators, go for it. In general, I don't think signatures really raise the worth of the thing being signed, unless the creator is known for rarely signing things.
    4. Creators are humans just like everyone else. Try to be courteous when talking to them. A standard "Hi, I'm [name], I'm a big fan of your work. Could I get you to sign some of my comics" will suffice.

There's no problem in asking Straczynski to sign OMD. But I wouldn't be surprised if he says "I only sign stuff I've worked on." :mamoru:

3. DoctorDoom

Oh yeah, and take lots of pictures of what you see, and then report back to OT.

4. pojoWRX

pojoWRX comics, indie hip-hop, home theater, Subie and dad

I'll be there Friday!

edit: I will take pics too if I don't forget my shit like I did this weekend for our son's first trip to see his Aunt. Scored major points for that smooth move.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  5. void

void oh yeah?

take bags and boards unless you like paying 50 cents from those fucking vultures. take some bristol boards (9x12 is a common sketch size, 11x14s are usually larger sketch/comission sizes, etc). some artist have these on hand, but some folks (say that are just there to talk and sign may not).

take something to put your shit into, buy a portfolio case to keep prints, comissions, or sketches in (i've got a 13x19 for big stuff, 9x12 one for my sketches). if all else fails, at least take a backpack, or park close if possible to haul shit away to the car and back in.

god i love the convention season, i'm seriously thinking about taking an extra day off and flying to the san diego comic-con...we'll see.

6. monkeyboy

monkeyboy Mr. Monkey Pants

I've only been to SDCC once, it was absolutely amazing. Of course, living in Toronto now, I can't imagine I'll make it again any time soon ... but we do have a couple of decent cons here, a bit later in the year.

7. CabbieNamedAxel

pojoWRX, where is the Pojo part of your name from?

Also, I'll be heading to the SDCC as well, assuming I don't have some horrifying experience at Wondercon.

8. pojoWRX

ill never tell...why? wondercon will be my first comic convention in 15 years and im stoked.

9. CabbieNamedAxel

Used to frequent (and at some point, moderate) the message board at Pojo.com, back when pokemans were still the cool thing.

10. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Did you go to the Fan Expo last year?

11. sploosh

sploosh OT Supporter

Ill be going on Sat and maybe Sunday. Its going to be my 1st too.

12. CabbieNamedAxel

I stopped by for a couple hours today, and I saw my first furry. Scary, really, especially when he took off the mask.

Got a autographed 8x10 from both Lou Ferrigno and Peter Mayhew though...Mayhew was cool as fuck to talk to, Ferrigno was all business and took 4 minutes to figure out how to spell my name. But my God, Mayhew is HUGE. I'm a big guy, over 6'4" and I have massive hands that dwarf anyone else I know, but holy shit I felt like a hobbit next to him.

I'll be going back to spend most of the day there tomorrow, I hear David Duchovny and Scully, whatever her real name is, will be there.

Saw a lot of costumed people as well, mostly Star Wars costumes. Stormtroopers, TIE pilots, a Royal Imperial Guard, a couple came in dressed as Mal and Inara from Firefly, and almost everyone had some sort of iconic t-shirt. Lots of lantern shirts and quite a few sinestro shirts. I felt so out of place wearing my SF Niners jersey, lole. Oh, and there was another couple (might have been two girls), but one was wearing a suit and had a martini, with golden wings and the other had a phantom of the opera mask. Anyone know what that might be from? I assumed it was some anime thing.

Coolest thing I saw so far was the dudes who had live cockroaches in his hat to sell their bug comic.

13. DoctorDoom

In the suit, Lucifer (as in the devil), and the mask, Mazikeen. Both are from the Vertigo comic "Lucifer." It ended like 2 years ago as a spinoff from the Sandman comic.

Live cockroaches is a new one to me. Any pictures :x:? (not just of the cockroaches but of the stuff you saw)

14. pojoWRX

are you talking about that guy in the blue wolf shirt? lol

15. CabbieNamedAxel

I only took like 5 or 6, I didn't stay very long and felt weird taking pics of people, but I'm gonna fill up the memory stick tomorrow, when I actually go with other people and stay for a few hours. I didn't even know about the panels and shit in other rooms, they had a Farscape panel with Chiana (Gigi Edgley) that I would have loved to see, but it got canceled.

And yea, that wolf fucker in the blue shirt. If he's there again, I'm gonna get a picture hugging him or something equally homosexual.

http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l62/CabbieNamedAxel/Wondercon/

I'll be adding more to that as soon as I get it. Sorry for the blurry pictures, tried a few sans flash.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  16. pojoWRX

haha ya I was standing behind that guy in line while he was "suiting-up". Those live cockroaches were an awesome idea. I only took a couple pics because I wasn't there very long.

Peter Mayhew was a badass, he had a sign above him that said Please Don't Stare, or something like that.

Jim Lee never showed up while I was there, but there was a random asian guy sitting there who ppl kept coming up thinking it was him. I think it was Jim Lee from another multiverse.

J. Scott Campbell was booked up for HOURS

Bruce Timm was just walking around and was a really cool guy for the 30 seconds I got to talk to him.

50% off trade-paperbacks FTW!!

Fat Momma...'nuff said.

17. CabbieNamedAxel

Uploading more pics now. Those girls dressed as Wonder Woman and Supergirl were cute as fuck. Big dude with white striped shirt is me, I show up in the occasional pic.

18. DoctorDoom

I've seen the Supergirl at San Diego before. Elvis Stormtrooper is also always around.

Nice pics. Did you get any sketches?

19. CabbieNamedAxel

Nah, I wasn't really sure how that works, and I don't know many artists. I don't want to walk up to some guy and ask for a sketch of like, the hulk when he's all DC or something, and I always feel like someone's gonna be some elitist ass if I ask for a sketch of someone mainstream, like "Oh God, I haven't drawn THAT a million times."

I make up crazy reasons why I shouldn't do things sometimes. =(

20. DoctorDoom

At first I was kind of shy about asking for sketches, especially for some of your reasons, but at worst they'll say no or more likely suggest something else they can draw.

If you go to artist alley there'll be a ton of artists who'll do sketches (for a nominal fee). If you've seen Marvel Bullpen Bits, basically young versions of Marvel characters like my av, go to Chris Giarusso. He charges $10 for black and white character sketches, and I think it's still $10 for a head shot done in crayon (like my av).

21. CabbieNamedAxel

I love Giaurusso's work, didn't realize he was there.

Also, I bought a lot of those prints with the idea of framing them and hanging them...didn't even think about the others. Some were given to me free, wtf do I do with them? lolol

(And thanks for all the advice)

22. DoctorDoom

Go ahead and frame them if they look nice. You could save the others for later, or rotate the art so you're not always looking at the same prints. You may want to buy some mylar sleeves with acid free boards to store the prints so they don't get damaged.

No problem on the advice. I'm just one fan helping another :)

23. DoctorDoom

Oh yeah, did you catch the name of the artist(s) who did the Simpsons and Family Guy prints?

24. CabbieNamedAxel

I didn't, but he was a buff ass asian dude, I'll check tomorrow and see.

25. Hiero

Hiero New Member

Timberwolf?