Women why must you do this? v. My house looks like a pottery barn

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by blackbirdbeatle, Feb 7, 2010.

1. blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle New Member

Why must you buy random shit that means nothing to decorate my home? It's to the point where I have to break it off when I see signs of the Pier One itch in her.

I understand design and like when it's something well thought out and consistent but 99% of the girls I've dated seem to think that placing a square plate with a candle in the middle and Japanese lettering on my table makes it look cultural. Then they get mad when I'm not thrilled to have had to move my books to put it there.

The worst is filling my functional areas with shit. I cook a lot. It takes up a lot of space to make a curry from scratch. I don't want a candle on my stove or wood giraffes trekking across the savanna that is my countertop. Nor do I want 3 towels layered on my bathroom rack that I can't use becuase they are fancy or a jar filled with colourful rocks by my sink. And it weirds me out when I have to look at Van Gough when I'm taking a shit. When I get up to wipe, I swear his eyes follow me (Yes, I'm that kind of wiper).

I mean it's not like my place is filled with cinder block shelves and a Scarface/Pulp Fiction poster.

How do you guys deal with this? I casually bring it up early in the relationship that I'm not one for trinket decorating when they come over, but without fail, I get an 'African' mask at about the 6 week mark to put on my wall. I don't mind the gifts but if the relationship is still new and what you do know of me is that I don't like random stuff everywhere, why do you girls do it? It happens everytime. I'd think the world of you if you knit me a scarf or made me something.

2. Diesel66

Diesel66 My standards for women is like rent-a-centers stan OT Supporter

:run: my girl just commented that my place is without decorations

3. Mr. November

Mr. November Guest

I'm sorry that your girl is anal-retentive. Sounds like you should shop together.

4. 2397

2397 OT Supporter

Hey, we don't all like clutter/genero asian or african decorations. Tell those girls you don't want anymore 'stuff' -- let good conversation fill the room instead.

5. VA197

VA197 New Member

I get where you're coming from. It's YOUR space, and by her decorating it for you in HER taste, it feels like an invasion of your privacy, an insult to your taste, and you probably feel like you're getting smothered and lead down the path to marriage by a leash...a crystal embedded one at that!

When she gives you gifts like this, tell her thanks, but no thanks, that you will decorate your place as you go, and though you appreciate her help, you'd like to choose your own decorations.

When my boyfriend and I first got together, his place was truly bare. His ex wife had cleaned him out, and I mean she took everything, right down to the furniture, pictures, dining room table, everything.

So together, we went shopping. I never forced my taste on him, but I did make some suggestions, I got him some awesome deals from businesses I work with so he got his furniture for pretty much wholesale cost. I did buy him a comforter set and matching bedskirt, shams and curtains as a gift...very nice, totally his style. I also picked up a lamp to replace the broken one by his bed. As for nick-nacks, I've gotten him some things for his desk, just stuff we have personal jokes about and some throwback bobbleheads from his favorite teams. I helped him choose some pictures for his bare walls, but HE chose them.

Now, of course you know he had to get a huge flatscreen, new computer...all the gaming systems, guy stuff.

But I did get him a good desk, and I took him to an excellent framer to get his three diplomas framed and matted together. Looks great in his office.

But I digress...

The point is, he has his own place, with his own style and is comfortable in it. No fuzzy toilet seat covers, no froo-froo shit. And he likes it, just like I love my eclectic mix of antiques, collectibles, cookie jars, and yes, my gay deer on the wall (appropriatly named 'Bruce'). It's your home, make it yours.

6. MissKitty

MissKitty If squats were easy they'd be called 'Your Mum' OT Supporter

Bowls with pebbles - WTF IS WITH BOWLS WITH PEBBLES!!!

7. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

my mother does this. I have some pottery things on top of one of my kitchen cupboards that so far have only been home to a couple of spiders :rofl:

i think it's their way of saying they're thinking of you :dunno: try not to get bent out of shape about it, if you're getting gifts it probably means things are going well :)

8. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

:bowrofl: I have never in my life started decorating an SO's place. You need to find new women.

9. Kozzy McKoz

Kozzy McKoz OT Supporter

When I have my own place I will hire homosexuals to interior decorate with tasteful yet flashy pieces.

10. wolfskymoon

wolfskymoon Guest

brag more.

11. wolfskymoon

wolfskymoon Guest

the av where u had ur stomach out was hot. Put it back on.

12. Toxica

Toxica New Member

I pretty much suck at decorating. I had my aunt and mom do most of the decorating at my apartment. :o So there's no way I'd tell my bf what to do with his place. I think his looks pretty awesome how it is.

Maybe when you start dating a girl, just casually bring up that a lot of your exes have done this and how you didn't like it. Then maybe laugh it off. That way they know not to do it themselves.

13. SolidRanger

SolidRanger New Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

And what's with buying vases and not putting anything in them!?!?

14. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

15. CorpseStreet

CorpseStreet New Member

I honestly don't get it either, I've never been too huge on decorating. Just tell her it's your space and you have it the way that works best for you. As much as you appreciate what she is trying to do you prefer things the way they are and you put though/effort into how things are.

16. Viper

Viper OT Supporter

You quit bitching about it and appreciate the fact that you have someone who cares about you and you start to see it as endearing. That's how you deal with it.

If there's one thing being snowed into my apartment by myself all weekend has shown me, it's that I miss that kind of shit. I miss having someone to be snowed in with. Moving a candle once in a while is worth all the companionship in the world.

17. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

I'd have to agree. I'm all about function over form. Not saying I have ugly tastes, it's just that my primary concern is how the layout of things affect my daily workflow, and THEN start paying attention to how something looks. If I can't work efficiently and consistently in my space, I don't care if it's the most beautiful looking thing in the world, I don't want it.

18. Xplora

Xplora New Member

The most I've ever done for a guy was bought him a clock in the shape of a tire that had led's in it that lite it up for his living room. He is a car guy so it worked, and I got him a picture frame for his Firebird, but I don't try to make him put a candle on his stove or have flowery pictures everywhere thats just weird.

19. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

See, the big difference is those are functional gifts. Those make sense. Useless shit that does nothing more than take up space and collect dust don't make sense and are non-functional.

20. saosko

saosko OT Supporter

sometimes less is more, and most females just don't understand. they have to clutter every fucking corner, every wall and every table/counter top with irrelevant shit..

if i have to go to home goods, pier 1 or ikea one more time i might just kill myself :o:o:o:o:o

21. blackbirdbeatle

Just to clarify, I like when a girl gets me something that shows she's been paying attention to my interests and what the rest of my house layout looks like. Can be store bought or made, I don't care. I also know that the mask that has nothing to do with anything is coming from a good place (Usually, sometimes they just want my place to look how they want it to look). But it's the equivalent to me buying her a hideous looking dress 2 sizes too big and then wondering why she never wears it. I didn't actually pay attention to what her size was or what kinds of things she likes to wear.

22. Jacy

Jacy red lipstick brigade

:werd:

23. blackbirdbeatle

I'm not even convinced that single women like you exist. I think I'd die of a heart attack if I never saw a scented candle within the first few months of a relationship sneak it's way into my place.

24. Xplora

Xplora New Member

I find it funny when I go to a friends place and his girlfriend has hearts and all sorts of other crap all over. I had one friend he had no say on how to decorate the house, she got the say so all the way down to the color of paint on the walls!!!

I decorate with candles at my house but I also burn them so they dont sit around and collect dust they aren't just for looks.

25. JohnJohnJohnson

JohnJohnJohnson Effetely Sipping My Latte OT Supporter

:crying:

I somehow missed the brag here