MIL Women in the military...front lines

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TRN, Sep 22, 2003.

1. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

I got into this debate with my g/f last weekend and even brought it up to my boss who is a former Marine.
    Should women be permitted to go on the front lines?
    My g/f disagreed with me that putting women there changes the whole equation and atmosphere of the matter.

Discuss-

2. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

Nope.

I dont think its such a good idea to have women on front line's.
    I think the reasons are pretty clear on-to why.

3. akaman

akaman the definition of destruction

which are?

4. Pro Street

Pro Street New Member

I think it depends on the woman. A female Marine is IMO able to handle combat, they go through the same exact requirements and training as the males.

5. interstate

interstate New Member

I'm all for womens rights, but honestly, I don't think it would be a good idea either. Some women would do great, but the majority of women aren't up to it.

6. saabguy

saabguy Active Member

if they are qualified to be there than yes. but don't stick a less-qualified woman on the front lines over a more qualified man just because she's a she. same as a job like a firefighter. if a woman has earned her position by being better than the others, great. but i don't want a less-qualified woman trying to drag my ass out of a burning house.

7. shanker

shanker unemployed

I think some women would make great Front Line Soldiers... Women ARE FAR MORE TERRITORIAL than men and would be more apt to kill and think about it later if you ask me..but Ide bet that 97% of women are not up to it.

8. RocCrwlr74

RocCrwlr74 Member

The problem with women in the military is not that they are not capable. Personally I think that a woman, having passed the same tests as a man, is just as qualified and can do just as well. Problem with them serving front line is the perception that the men have. In this country men have been raised to believe that they should protect women. This raises questions as to whether or not men can handle them on the battlefield. The men might take unnecessary risks to keep the women out of harms way. Also one must look at the consequences of capture. That women will more than likely go through more torture then the men, and it will probably be done in front of the men to get them to talk. Could any of you keep you cool in a situation where a woman is being brutally raped in front of you, when all you would have to do to stop it is give up some trivial information? I don't think I could.

9. Pro Street

Pro Street New Member

when I was in the Corps, we weren't men or women, we were all Marines.

10. NocturnalC

NocturnalC Guest

That's a pretty stone-age perception. Women that get into combat units are every bit as capable as the men, and usually more so. They have a little tougher time physically but have to meet the same requirements as the men and those who pass, you bet are motivated and capable. There are a lot of women that I would rather have watching my back than a lot of men.

I work with a girl who was a foot grunt. My cousin had a whole bunch of girls in his MLRS command. In my country I think the only units that women are barred from joining are extremely-high-capture-risk units, meaning commando and infiltration units. They can be pilots and combat soldiers though.

If men make such issues about women fighting with them, maybe MEN shouldn't be allowed into combat?

11. jorgeva

jorgeva New Member

What country are you talking about, NocturnalC?

12. fooj

fooj OT Supporter

When a woman is shot and starts screaming the men around her will instantly think of their mothers, wives, girlfreinds, etc. It would fuck with their mentality big time.

13. RMNIXON

RMNIXON New Member

There is no "Right" to be in the military. They need to do the best job possible and that means anyone who causes morale problems, distraction, or unit cohesion problems should be out. Is it fare? No! May it save a life? Yes!

This is the worst place for social experiments!

14. xxxxx2dop

xxxxx2dop Active Member

I think there should be standards that any soldier should have to meet (and those standards should be set by effectiveness in battle not through political means) and IF a woman can meet those standards then should be allowed in the front lines if for some reason she actually wants to be there.

15. NocturnalC

NocturnalC Guest

Israel. I had a friend who went to some course and wouldn't be allowed back into her unit because some religious recruits who joined while she was in the course had a problem with it. That just ticks me off! It's obvious to ME who the problem is.

16. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

Who would win in a fight a 200 pound men or a 120 pound women? I think the answer is obvious, and I was working from that.

Also, in my country if women were allowed into army I can see them being raped within first week and then on and on. Women = weaker then men. End of story.

17. BobG

BobG Fuchs.

I know quite a few 120lb women who would beat the piss out of a lot of 200lb men.

18. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Well there is always an exception to the rule, but generally speaking...

19. RocCrwlr74

RocCrwlr74 Member

Curious....what country are you from?? If I thought that a woman in the US military would be raped the first week I think that I would leave this country. And I have to believe, from your statements, that you don't really see anything wrong with that. Just want to know where your from, so i know to never visit there.

20. Pro Street

Pro Street New Member

any well-trained woman grunt can cake out a 200lb man, just as easily as a male can.

21. Pro Street

Pro Street New Member

depends on who's better trained.

who would win, an 120# man, or a 200# man in the same fight?

I've taken out people twice my body weight, and with the same training.

22. BobG

BobG Fuchs.

Hand to hand? Unless she's had some hefty fight experience/training, my money's on the dude. However, how often do we see hand to hand combat in today's wars? It's pretty much become a thing of the past.

I'm just commenting from both sides here. I support women on the front lines so long as they meet every single qualification (NO EXCEPTIONS!!!) that a man is expected to meet.

23. RocCrwlr74

RocCrwlr74 Member

You never answered my question. I would really like to know what country you live in where you would, seem to, find it compleatly acceptable that a woman in the military would be raped within her first week of service. Please answer my question.

24. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

Roc, get a life. No where in my post did I ever mentioned that I found itaccepetable neither did I say I disagreed with it. You seem like a typical anal dumbass who tries to pull something out of a post that is not there to begin with.

My post stated clearly what would happen if a women was allowed into military in my part of the world. Thats it, nothing more nothing less. Get over your self.

25. RocCrwlr74

RocCrwlr74 Member

Well then... Forgive me for assuming that you felt that way. I shouldn't have done that. I was just taken back by your statement. You still have not answered my question though. What country do you live in?