Woman Sues Ex-Fiancé, Wins $150K - discuss

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by eskarinna, Jul 28, 2008.

1. eskarinna

eskarinna New Member

cliffs: He proposes with a ring, she says yes, she quits her job and moves to the city he lives in and to a lower payed job, he breaks it off 2 days b4 the wedding, she sues and wins 150k

http://www.11alive.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=118980&provider=top

tought it might make a good discussion tread if not i know you vagarians would of been interested in reading this so here you go.

edit: she moved in with him and had no job -.-

2. AutoEuphoria

AutoEuphoria New Member

Doesn't surprise me at all. Jury trial?

3. Viper

Viper No it's not Ashton Kutcher it's Kevin Malone OT Supporter

:bowrofl:

Christ.

4. eskarinna

eskarinna New Member

so yes

5. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

GAINESVILLE, Ga. -- A Gainesville woman has successfully sued her ex-fiancé after he called off their wedding. A jury ruled it was a breach of contract and ordered him to pay $150,000 in damages.
    Rosemary Shell holds a large, glittering engagement ring in her hands. She no longer wears it on her ring finger, but instead keeps it in the box it came in. She says it's a reminder of what could have been.
    "He changed his mind for no good reason," said Shell.
    She's talking about Wayne Gibbs of Gainesville, a man she dated for five years. Shell says when he said he wasn't interested in marriage she moved to Pensacola, Florida and started a lucrative new job earning $81,000 a year plus bonuses and benefits. Then Gibbs showed up.
    "He asked me to marry him. He gave me a ring and I gave up my life and my career and I came back to Gainesville. He told me he would pay my bills, that we would be married by the holidays and we would live happily ever after. I believed him," said Shell.
    But two days before the wedding, she says Gibbs left her a goodbye note saying he couldn't go through with the wedding. He also wrote her a $5,000 dollar check. She says she tore up both and instead sued him for breach of contract.
    Shell's lawyer, former Hall County District Attorney Lydia Sartain, successfully argued before a jury that Gibbs owed Shell what she'd lost in salary plus pain and suffering.
    "He callously allowed her to quit her job, move back and into his house where she had no income and then after a couple of months he just put her out on the streets and said 'you know you're on your own'," said Sartain.
    After just a day of testimony, the jury sided with Shell and ordered Gibbs to pay $150,000 dollars in damages.
    Neither Gibbs nor his attorney was available for comment. Gibbs did testify that he didn't feel he owed Shell anything, especially since he'd let her keep the engagement ring.
    The ring Shell now keeps in that box and plans to sell. She says she hopes the next woman who receives it has a fiancé who will follow through.

I like how the woman is not being held accountable AT ALL for her choice to go along with this and quit her job.

And where is it said that you need a reason to end a relationship?

6. XaPU!M

XaPU!M Active Member

Only in America...

7. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Only in Gainesville...

Just kidding, that sucks. No discusion really, I mean, it's almost commonplace now to hear this sort of shit.

8. aim2kill

aim2kill New Member

kinda sad though dont you think?

9. iwishyouwerebeer

Of course it is! It's awful how people are these days. Everyone thinks they are entitled to something when they break up and it's garbage.

10. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

that's fucked up

11. Mugen92GS-R

Mugen92GS-R New Member

Shit like this makes me want to slit both my wrists and jump off a high building.

Seriously, people today feel a sense of entitlement towards everything :ugh:

12. Viper

Viper No it's not Ashton Kutcher it's Kevin Malone OT Supporter

:bowrofl:

It'd be a race against time...

Will he die from being splattered all over the pavement or will he be dead before he hits the ground?

I got a fiver on "he'd be dead before he hits the ground".

13. iwishyouwerebeer

This reminds me of
    [​IMG]
    Anyone seen this movie? I :rofl: every time I see it, but it's a similar situation

14. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Doesn't surprise me.

It's stupid as hell, but it doesn't surprise me.

15. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

Yeah it sucks that she moved out but I mean if she didn't know the guy well enough to anticipate something like that she shouldn't have been getting married in the first place. I doubt this is the first spontaneous thing he's ever done.

It blows that he lost so much money.

16. Vysion

Vysion New Member

It's un-American-like to be held accountable for your choices and actions. :rolleyes:

17. demosnat

demosnat New Member

I have a lot of sympathy for women (and men) in the position that rulings like this are INTENDED to help. People who stay at home to raise children within a marriage, and later things fall apart and they are left w/o a career, and have given up everything for the family.
    This woman is the equivalent of women who cry rape and fuck things up for actual victims. Her selfishness (like those crying rape) will probably be a landmark impediment for actual fairness in these situations.

18. CorpseStreet

CorpseStreet New Member

What that article didn't mention was that her fiance was cheating on her when he left and she racked up debt because of wedding plans. I'd be pissed if someone did this to me but I wouldn't sue.

19. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

If she didn't cheat on him or anything then I actually agree with the decision. He proposed to her because he didn't want to lose her and then after all that he decided he didn't want her? What a douche.

20. ChaCha

ChaCha Active Member

:ugh:

anyways...

how does one lose a 'career' by quiting a job? Odds are if you have a good career then someone will hire you.

I'd like to know what her 'career' was haha. Probably nothing to speak of.

21. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

umm...wtf is wrong with you?

Getting married is (or should be) a really big decision and people change their minds all the time about stupid shit like what shirt to wear that day. Why should people get punished for changing thier minds about something that is going to change theit life forever?

22. JordanClarkson

A career that makes almost 2.5x the median income...

23. JordanClarkson

They were dating for 5 years. She decided to go take a job elsewhere because he didn't want to get married. Then he decides he wants to get married and proposes. Most girls in her position at this point still wouldn't even consider it. I'm surprised she even said yes. So then she packs up and heads to his home. Then he cheats on her and decides he doesn't want to be married anymore? And I'm supposed to feel sorry for him? He wasted her time so I think she deserves compensation.

24. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

compensation for what? She voluntarily quit her job...how is this ANY different than if she were single, quit her job, and decided to move out to a new area with no job lined up?

If people could get compensated for any time someone did an asshole or bitchy thing to them, we'd all be rich.

25. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

:werd:

So some guy doesn't want to get married after dating for 5 years then magically changes his mind? She should be sued from being dumb enough to believe him.