GUN Woman shoots home invader durring struggle

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, May 24, 2007.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Anatomy of a home invasion
    Woman says she shot intruder, who broke into apartment and put gun to her head, during a struggle over her boyfriend's shotgun
    BY ANDREW STRICKLER
    [email protected]

Email this story
    Printer friendly format
    May 24, 2007
    Merrily Ottomanelli stood yesterday by her kitchen door and pointed to a fist-sized dent from a shotgun blast that left her Coram home splattered with the blood of an armed teenager who police said broke into her home.

"I'm just sorry the gun went off," she said, still visibly shaken 24 hours later. "I thought I'd killed him." :hsugh:

The home invasion began late Tuesday morning as Ottomanelli, 30, a dress store manager and college senior, and her boyfriend, Clifton Gilchrist, 24, were getting ready to go out for breakfast. Hearing the kitchen door open, she looked up to see a young stranger walk into her basement apartment, a pistol raised in one hand.

She screamed and lunged for the door. But, she said, the invader, who police identified as Jonathon Dilone, 18, of Port Jefferson Station, grabbed her by the throat, pushed her against a refrigerator, cocked the gun, and pressed the barrel to her head.

He said, calmly, "I'm here for your money. Where's your wallet?" Ottomanelli recalled. She pleaded, "Please don't do this."

Gilchrist, who was in a back bedroom, said he heard Ottomanelli's cries and grabbed a loaded 12-gauge shotgun he bought last year for protection.

Gilchrist said he charged into the intruder, ramming him with the shotgun, which dropped to the floor. As the pair fought, Ottomanelli said she grabbed the gun and raised it toward the invader, who still held a 9-mm pistol. "We were so close that he reached out and grabbed it, like a tug-of-war," she said.

Ottomanelli, who had never fired a gun before, said she didn't mean to pull the trigger. "There was the slightest touch and it went off," she said.

Gilchrist was holding the assailant from behind when the blast ripped through the invader's right shoulder, sending blood and birdshot scattering around the kitchen. "I felt the force of it, boom," Gilchrist said.

A moment later the assailant ran from the apartment, leaving a trail of blood and bone shards on the concrete walkway. :mamoru:

"I'm suffering over this," Ottomanelli said yesterday. "It didn't have to go this way. But I'm glad I'm not shot and that my boyfriend's not shot."

Police said Dilone was driven after the shooting by Michael Anuskiewicz, 21, to Anuskiewicz's home in Port Jefferson Station, where an unidentified person called an ambulance. Dilone was taken to Stony Brook University Medical Center, where he was arrested. Dilone, who was listed in stable condition yesterday, is in police custody at the hospital.

Anuskiewicz was arrested Tuesday night at his home. Both men are charged with burglary, possession of stolen property and criminal use of a firearm, all felonies. Anuskiewicz pleaded not guilty at his arraignment in First District Court in Central Islip yesterday and was held on $100,000 cash bail or $300,000 bond. Dilone's arraignment had not yet been scheduled.

Anuskiewicz told police after his arrest that the pair targeted the house because they believed drug dealers lived there, Det. Sgt. Frank Stewart said, but a search of the house turned up no drugs or paraphernalia.

Matthew Swift, the owner of the house who lives upstairs, said he believed the house was picked at random. "There's nothing wrong with these two," he said of his tenants.

Sounds like they both need some training

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Welcome to 2007, people don't feel like they should shoot a person who has choked them and held a gun to their temple. I don't know how people have become such pansies that they feel like they would never want to hurt a person who has threatened their life.

3. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Birdshot :greddy:

4. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I've spoken with a lot of people about this, and their thoughts are mostly along the lines of "if it's time to go, it's time to go". Like this criminal is working for destiny or god or what have you. They also think that killing someone is never an option.

It boggles my mind really.

5. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

Too bad she didn't kill him.

WTF at birdshot? Need some slugs or buckshot in there. I alternate with those in my 12 gauge.

6. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

I felt the force of it, boom

7. copeland

copeland smarter than you

I wonder if the boyfriend did the shooting and passed it off on her. Laws seem a lot more lenient for women with Guns rather then men.

8. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Maybe its the benefit of atheism then :big grin:

I don't want anyone else reading this to be confused either. I'm not saying it should be asy for a person to shoot someone, that they won't have some emotional issues after, or that its anything to be taken lightly. To find it so unthinkable that you might do harm to someone who has threatened your life though is a little disturbing.

9. Shiva Chaos

Shiva Chaos i see boobies!

my wife still thinks like that.

Atheism or not, I believe that if God wants to help, he'll strike them with lightning. And since lightning doesn't really help indoors, God will just be glad you took action yourself.

10. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

I agree. You think people would have at least some instinctive will to live. Then again, maybe she was really trying to sell the self defense thing and didn't want to get arrested.:dunno: