woman dies of water poisoning :ugh:

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by infinite loop, Jan 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. infinite loop

infinite loop Statistically speaking, the Yankees do indeed suck

http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=333969

Woman Dies After Water-Drinking Radio Contest
    January 15, 2007

A 28-year-old mother of three died from water intoxication after taking part in a water-drinking contest for KDND (The End)/Sacramento on Friday. The contest, Hold Your Wee for a Wii, involved drinking as much water as you could without going to the bathroom in order to win the much-coveted Nintendo Wii video game console. Contestant Jennifer Lea Strange died after drinking well over a half gallon of water during the Morning Rave program, said the Sacramento Bee.

As part of the contest, participants were each given eight-ounce bottles of water. They had two minutes to drink a bottle, waited 10 minutes, then drank another bottle. Some of them kept drinking for up to three hours. Another contestant, Gina Sherrod, said that a nurse was on the air warning that drinking too much water is dangerous. Sherrod told The Bee that a deejay rebuffed the nurse and that the contestants signed waivers that addressed only publicity issues and made no mention of health or safety concerns.

The CBS television affiliate in Sacramento reported that Strange called a co-worker shortly after bowing out of the contest. She was in tears and said that she felt ill and could not make it to work. Family members later found her unresponsive at home.

John Geary, GM of Entercom Sacramento, which owns KDND, sent an e-mail to The Bee saying, "We were stunned when we heard this news. We are awaiting information that will help explain how this tragic event occurred. Our sympathies are with the family and friends of Jennifer Strange, as they deal with circumstances that are so difficult to comprehend."

-------

i drink half a gallon or so during my workouts :eek4:

2. tbizzle

tbizzle you smoke that shit?

she died from drinking 1/2 gallon of water? :wtf: anorexic midget?

3. Toxicity

Toxicity New Member

I drink that much all the time... I guess peeing goes a long way

4. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Google hyponatremia

She would've had to drink more than half a gallon, and drink it VERY rapidly.

5. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

No way it was from half a gallon

6. pringlesuck

pringlesuck New Member

yes, your body's electrical sytem will be diluted.. hyponatremia...

you have to watch out; there have been people collasping running marathons because over the stretch of 26miles, they drink tons of water...

7. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

Last time I heard of anyone dying of it was when a local frat hazed some kid into chugging 2gallons, was a big deal for a while. Marathoners have it bad because they down so much water without replacing any of the bodies electrolytes over time, thats y they alternate between gatorade or something and water at the lil drink stations a lot of times. Not to mention those nasty ass gu packs.

8. BarbaraWaltersPegleg

BarbaraWaltersPegleg Irish Guido

This was on the O and A show this morning, those radio guys are fucked.

9. TZ

TZ Banned

wow, poor lady

10. infinite loop

yeah, you figure at the very least they'll be fired.

11. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Unless they prove she had some other medical condition

12. infinite loop

more details..

Woman loses life over a Wii
    By CRISTINA JEWETT
    McClatchy News Service

SACRAMENTO - Contestants in a radio stunt called ''Hold Your Wee for a Wii'' have revealed new details about an on-air water drinking contest that left a 28-year-old mother of three dead.

Jennifer Lea Strange died after drinking well over a half gallon of water Friday during the ''Morning Rave'' program on KDND-FM. About 18 contestants vied for a Nintendo Wii gaming console by drinking as much water as they could without going to the bathroom; Strange took second place.

James Ybarra, a Woodland, Calif., man who gave up after drinking eight eight-fluid-ounce bottles of water, or half a gallon, said that Strange kept going.

Most contestants were hoping to get the console for their children, he said. Strange showed contestants photos of her two sons and daughter.

''It is sad that a mother had to lose her life to get something for her kids,'' he said. ``None of us knew this could be a risk to our health.''

The Sacramento County Coroner's Office said Saturday that Strange died of apparent water intoxication. A preliminary investigation didn't reveal any ``life threatening medical conditions to explain her sudden death.''

John Geary, general manager of Entercom Sacramento, which owns KDND, did not return messages left Sunday on his cellular and home phones. In an e-mail message to The Sacramento Bee, he said:

``We were stunned when we heard this news. We are awaiting information that will help explain how this tragic event occurred. Our sympathies are with the family and friends of Jennifer Strange, as they deal with circumstances that are so difficult to comprehend.''

Strange's husband, William Strange, 27, said late Sunday he was not ready to discuss his wife's death publicly. He released a photo of his young family, and a brief written statement describing his wife's generous and optimistic nature, and her devotion to her family.

''Friday, Jennifer was just her bright, usual self,'' he wrote. ``She was trying to win something for her family that she thought we would enjoy. . . . We miss her dearly. She was my girl.''

The death touched a nerve throughout Sacramento and was publicized in news outlets from as far away as Toronto, London and Sydney, Australia.

Gina Sherrod, who competed with Strange in the contest, said her family listened to the radio show, and told her that a nurse was on air warning that drinking too much water is dangerous. Sherrod said a DJ rebuffed the nurse, saying the contestants signed waivers that addressed only publicity issues and made no mention of health or safety concerns.

Sherrod said she had no idea what risk she had taken until she saw news of Strange's death.

''I was so scared,'' she said. ``I had the hardest time going to sleep last night because I was afraid I wouldn't get up.''

Sherrod sat near Strange during the contest, which began shortly after 6 a.m. Friday in a break room at the radio station's offices on Madison Avenue.

Contestants had qualified by recounting the worst Christmas gifts they'd received.

Strange told Sherrod her worst gift was a set of flower-shaped champagne flutes wrapped like roses that shattered when she opened them.

Participants were each given eight-fluid-ounce bottles of water. They had two minutes to drink a bottle, waited 10 minutes, then drank another bottle.

The women chatted. Strange told Sherrod she and friends had sixth-row tickets to Friday night's Justin Timberlake concert at Arco Arena.

Sherrod said the contest room was quiet at first, but morning disc jockeys Trish, Maney and Lukas and radio personalities Carter and Fester came in and out of the room, pumping up the participants.

''We did it like we were drinking shots,'' Sherrod said. 'Instead of saying `cheers' we would say 'Wii' and then shoot it.''

Ybarra, the Woodland man, said Fester went outside and sprayed the window with water and turned on a faucet to tempt contestants to use the bathroom.

''As time went by, it got harder to drink those small bottles,'' Ybarra said.

After contestants drank eight of the 8-fluid-ounce bottles of water, radio staff gave them larger bottles to drink, Ybarra said. That's when he left.

Sherrod drank half of a larger bottle before she ran out of the room and vomited.

''I felt drunk and really out of it,'' she said.

Sherrod left then. Strange was still a contestant.

''I spent the last hours with that poor woman. I couldn't believe it,'' Sherrod said.

After the contest, Strange had planned to go to work. She called a co-worker at Radiological Associates, crying. She had a headache and nausea and had to go home, said co-worker Angela Krause. Another employee tried unsuccessfully to reach Strange. She asked Strange's mother to check on her at her Rancho Cordova home. Strange's mother found her daughter dead.

The coroner's office said the final cause of death is not expected for several months.

Water intoxication -- or hyponatremia -- occurs when sodium levels in blood dip too low.

Two years ago a 21-year-old fraternity pledge at California State University, Chico, died after a night of hazing during which he drank excessive amounts of water. Four members of the fraternity later pleaded guilty to charges including involuntary manslaughter.

Sacramento Sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Tim Curran said Sunday that no investigation had been started on the case.

Friday's water drinking contest was not the first in the radio industry. Dave Gross, 46, a landscaper from Victorville in Southern California, said Strange's death brought back bad memories. He won a pool table, bar and bar stools last summer after winning a water drinking contest staged by a local radio station. He became violently ill afterward and wound up in an emergency room.

13. infinite loop

i doubt it. there will be a shitload of public outcry if the radio people (dj's, producers, etc) keep their jobs.

14. knucks

knucks Active Member

Well for those who drink during a workout, you also sweat..so it's kind of at an equlibrium :dunno:

15. xela

xela So say we all!

Wow, I should have died like 11ty billion times by now! :noes:

16. Shiftknob

Shiftknob New Member

damn, poor lady. I drink that in less than half a day...then again I find myself pissing ever fucking 2 minutes.

17. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

she should have drank brawndo

18. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

It's got electrolytes!

19. xela

xela So say we all!

That is so annoying! It's the only bad thing about drinking so much water. :hs:

20. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

:rofl: I heard about this today, that station is fucking lame anyways, hope they get shut down.

21. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

I've heard of that condition before... but thats crazy. 1/2gal? I must drink that in the gym alone..

22. ralyks

ralyks New Member

wtf I regularly go through 48-64oz at the gym in the span of 75minutes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.