GUN Woman Accused of Bringing Loaded Gun Into Disney World

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Dec 10, 2007.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,316267,00.html

Woman Accused of Bringing Loaded Gun Into Disney World

Sunday, December 09, 2007

There was a little less enchantment in the Magic Kingdom Sunday morning when a 63-year-old Pennsylvania woman was taken into custody for allegedly bringing a loaded semi-automatic into the park.

Disney World security personnel reportedly discovered a silver handgun on Mary Ann Richardson as she entered the park with other family members, according to the Orange County Sheriff’s Office. The .32-caliber Beretta handgun had been loaded with seven live rounds in the magazine, but the chamber was empty, MyFoxOrlando.com reported.

Click here to read more from MyFoxOrlando.com.

Richardson claimed she regularly traveled with the gun and forgot she had been carrying it around in her purse. Also found in Richardson’s purse was a pair of scissors and a locked blade knife, authorities said. She was charged with possession of a concealed weapon.

-----

Fuck Disney World how can they call it the happiest place on earth when you cant have a gun. :ugh:

2. Tdizzle

Tdizzle New Member

fuck that shit, I saw Beverly hills cop 3, you need something in those places. Who wants to go there anyway, the only good ride is Space mountain.

3. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

:bowrofl:

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

she should not be allowed to have a firearm is she can't even remember if she's carrying or not.

5. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Thats right everyone should be ready to crap all the time and constantly be thinking "omg there's a gun with me." You sound as bad an anti, she's probably used to having her gun on her and at 63 years old its no big deal anymore.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I think a responsible citizen should be allowed to carry. But at no point should you be unaware what you have on you. "I forgot I had my gun" is no excuse.

8. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Why not? I carry my wallet and keys 24/7, I'd walk right past the gate of a place that had a "no keys or leather" sign just because its not even something I think of or worry about.

9. MTech

MTech New Member

so how is she in trouble unless she didn't have a valid permit for Cali?

If she was permitted to conceal than all they should legally be able to do is ask her to remove it from the property and put it in her vehicle or something...

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

no, thats my point. If there was a security checkpoint with big signs that say take out your wallet and keys you would know that you always carry them and would take them out -- which is exactly what you and everyone else does in the airport security checkpoint.

Likewise, if you daily-carry a handgun part of that responsibility is knowing where you CANT carry and ensuring that you comply!

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

She was charged because it was concealed and she could not lawfully do so. If she had been licensed, the most Disney could do would be to tresspass her.

12. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

And what if I'm just buying tickets and going through the gates to disney world? I'm not going to look for signs telling to remove my wallet or keys, I have them all the times, its like expecting me to look for a sign telling me to put my penis in the tray, I wouldn't even consider looking for such an unusual requirement.

Us gun people need to quit pretending that we're carrying a lit stick of dynamite or a rabid weasel in our pants and be comfortable telling the rest of the world to chill out, its just a gun. Its a normal safe thing thats so much a part of every day life that I don't even need to think about. Its like the people in the main forum "post your carry threads" that think people carrying concealed are scared for their lives or eager to shoot someone. Its just a gun in my pocket, nothing more.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

You tell the world that and get the law changed. Until then, telling the world to "chill out" will *not* be accomplished by breaking the law and getting negative press coverage. I am pro-gun and I view this woman's actions as being irresponsible... That tells me that people that want to further restrict guns will use this as leverage.

DO NOT GIVE THEM EXAMPLES LIKE THESE!

Not agreeing doesn't give you a de-facto right to break the rule. Disney Land/World are no-gun no-knife areas. It's private property, and they have very obvious security gates. I will carry into a movie theatre despite a sign that says not to, because I want it for protection... But when I know I'm going through a metal detector, I know better.

Part of CCW is that you need to THINK more than the average person. I want to restore freedom to those that deserve it, but it's fucking faggot morons that get those rights lost for the rest of us! If you don't respect the right, it will become a privilage, and will be taken away.

14. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

What sort of anti-gun leverage are you expecting from this? A 63 year old woman at disney world was arrested with a .32 caliber handgun...thank god another gang banger is off the streets? The money spent on her prosecution will make the streets safer? I'd gladly talk to people about it to people. Here's grammy taking her kids to disney land. She probably has a concealed carry permit in her home state that something like 16-20 other states honor, unlike your drivers license which is accepted by all the states. Look at the kind of "criminals" our gun laws stop compared to the public shootings in the past week. I think the stupidity of those laws is only made clearer with situations like this.

I don't disagree one but that granny messed up and broke the law. However we should be the ones saying the law is dumb, look at the reasons why. Instead you're going right with the anti's treating guns like toxic waste that we're supposed to be hyper-aware of and something that we should expect to be subject to countless restrictions. Until you (and the other progun people of the same mindset of course) are ready to drop those views and say this is no big deal and punishing her is a waste of money, we'll certainly never see the laws changed.

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

You will NEVER change the opinion of an anti-gun liberal with that bullshit you just spewed.

NO IT IS NOT FAIR THAT WE SHOULD BE HELD TO HIGHER ACCOUNTABILITY -- BUT IF WE WANT OUR CONCERNS TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY, WE NEED TO HOLD OURSELVES TO BE THE MOST LAW-ABIDING CITIZENS WE CAN BE!

Gun laws are created to make us look bad. And if you violate those laws you contribute to statistics showing that gun laws do help. If there was zero crime commited with registered firearms, and everyone that conceal carried made the streets safer, then we can turn the tables. But if you want to say guns are good, you can't plead ignorance over them!

But the bottom-line is that we are dealing with a group of individuals that are NOT educated about what they are trying to ban. And a lack of knowledge is FEAR. An individual trying to bring FEAR into an otherwise "happy" place and then claiming that she "forgot" about her "device of death" is not going to make those uneducated anti-gun liberals want to learn anything about what you and I treasure.

We need to obey the laws that we have on the books today, and provide strong examples to educate the masses on firearm safety and gun control restricts a right for law-abiding citizens that does not infringe on anothers right to be free of fear and harm. We need to educate the masses that guns are not bad. People may be bad, and they will be bad with or without guns -- and even worse is that bad people will always find ways to get guns. We need to show them that in the hands of average-joe-citizen, guns are not bad.

Claiming that she "forgot" she had a gun does NOT make her look good. And it makes gun owners look irresponsible.

So you're absolutely right. This is not fair. You forget about your wallet. But the masses do not have a general fear about your wallet. We need to protect the liberty that we still have, and we need to fight to restore the liberty that we once had. Accomplishing that requires we always portray ourselves with an image deserving of the highest respects. And that means not simply being an average, forgetful citizen -- it means being an excellent upstanding citizen. We need to show people that we respect the law and we would like that same respect shown for our rights.

Remember: If something bad happens to you, you will tell at least 10 people. If something good happens to you, you will tell probably only 1 or 2. Case in point: getting good service at a restaurant is generally expected. However, if you get poor service, you will be very vocal about it with your friends.

The SAME thing applies here. Every mistake we make as gun owners will be magnified and provide self-felt justification for those that have un-justifiable fear of firearms.

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

17. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

P07r0457 it seems like you need to pick your position here. First you said that she's an ignorant fool who shouldn't be carrying a firearm because she treat it like an aids infected syringe in her pocket, but then you say that its all about appeasing the antis who are just scared of guns? Which position are you taking?

I truly believe they're created out of poorly reasoned good intentions, not a conspiracy to make gun owners look bad.

How does X number of people arrested for carrying a concealed firearm show that gun laws do anything? You'd need to show an effect on crime rate for that. Showing that people get charged with breaking a law doesn't mean that the law is effective.

Now you're talking about registered guns in florida, you're from oregon, she's from pennsylvania. I don't believe any of these places have any form of firearm registration. Fwiw you will never ever be able to prove that concealed carry made the streets safer, you can prove that people with carry licenses don't commit crimes and make the crime rate any worse right now and start converting those antis.

I agree with both of those things. You're going about it a hard way when you say this woman is an irresponsible idiot that shouldn't be carrying a gun to begin with. Sure makes guns sound pretty bad to me.

So why are you flying off the handle about a gun? Why aren't you trying to teach the masses that its just a gun instead of playing along?

Sounds good to me, why aren't you pointing out how stupid it is that on the same week that 10 people died in public shootings that the only "criminal" we're stopping with gun laws is a 63 year old woman trying to protect her family at disney world instead of crucifying this woman? You're going to change public perception of firearms by showing the public that even people that have firearms are terrified of them?

18. Werm

Werm Guest

Not only were there rounds in the magazine... but they were live rounds :noes:

19. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Living breathing rounds dude! Not the cuddly ones you see at the shelter either, these rounds were vicious!

20. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

she obviously did a poor job at concealing.

She may not have really forgotten that the gun was there, but that's the only thing that popped into her mind at the time.

21. Trlstyle

Trlstyle New Member

I read this last night...right after i got back to my hotel room from a long day at MGM, Magic Kingdom, and Epcot. True story!

22. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

omg semi-automatic :run:

23. MTech

MTech New Member

SO she didn't have a permit at all you're saying... because PA permits DO work in Florida.

24. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

That's the only way that she can be charged with a crime of carrying a concealed weapon in florida at disney, at least reviewing a list of places off limits in the florida statutes. Otherwise the worst that could be done is charge her with trespassing if when it was discovered she refused to leave (if there was a no guns sign posted). Then again they have have found the gun, created a big scene and called in the police who took the woman away before asking anything about the proper paperwork.

Regardless I highly doubt this subject will stay in the news and the vast majority of the public will never hear about it even if she is guilty, but no one will hear about it if she is innocent, that's just how entertainment works and the news is entertainment now.

As for those who believe it is entirely possible and acceptable to "forget" that you car carrying a weapon, why is that? I carry and I know plenty of people who do and not one of us spends all day freaking out that we have a gun on us or are aware of every little bit of rubbing against our skin it does. If you have a gun you most likely bought it to carry for protection so you are generally aware of your environment and the laws regarding the gun. If you are going to carry a gun you do not have to be aware of the fact that you have it on or about at all times, however when confronted with a situation such is it legal for me to have my gun here you should remember if it is at home in the safe or in your purse.

I understand that most people in this forum believe that the ability to carry a gun is a right (and that is how I see it as well), florida as a shall issue state at least at the government level with this stand, however there is much of the general public that either does not know it is even happening or feel that it is a privilege. As there is a good part of the public that views it in this manner the last thing I or any gun owner really want to do is give them more fuel for the fire against us. By carrying a gun not only does my decision of if and when to use if affect other people, but my actions while carrying it have the ability to impact other people who carry guns, who may be unfairly punished for my actions.

25. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Could you and the other two shining paragons of gun owning virtuosity move your abnormally high horses off my lawn? The shit is building up really high. Thanks.