GUN wolf ammo

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by mitsuguy16, Mar 1, 2005.

1. mitsuguy16

mitsuguy16 New Member

wats the problem with wolf ammo?? lots of range i go to dont allow those... can someone tell me y??

2. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

they dont allow them? Strange. I'm going to assume it's probably the casing, because it's made out of steel instead of brass.

3. oakie

oakie my ninja.

steel cases.

all indoor ranges collect the brass and resell it to reloaders. steel cases arent reloadable (explained below), and they'd have to hire a couple extra monkeys to separate the brass from the steelies.

cases expand upon firing. steel expands much like brass, though not as much, but its hardness prevents proper reshaping by a resizing die in a reloading press. the friction also causes problems as the steel cases will get stuck in the die easily, ruining the die for the most part.

aluminum cases are also usually banned in indoor ranges, but due to the softness of the case... they have a very high chance of ripping apart if reloaded due to severe weakening of the aluminum case upon the first firing. the aluminum case rounds are also loaded to pressure specs well below the SAAMI limit per calibre to ensure the case doesnt go into meltdown... something a reloader will not bother doing as it's too expensive to reset powder charges and stock another line of lower weight bullets.

4. Afterimage

Afterimage Guest

I think it's stupid why some ranges don't allow it but I guess that's their right. :dunno:

I've gone through thousands of rounds of Wolf .223 and never had a single problem. It's good ammo, especially for the price.

5. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

It's usually underloaded compared to most other rounds, and it's really dirty. Don't shoot wolf in any suppressed firearm. You'll have a bastard of a time cleaning the suppressor and the firearm. Otherwise, wolf works fine for all calibers i've tried. Just shot a box of wolf Mak ammo tonight through my friend's new Makarov. I've shot a few thousand rounds of wolf through my AR, and I'm still using up the last of the last case of wolf i bought. so long as you get the polymer coated cases, you're fine, except the crap that ends up inside your firearm after you shoot large quantities of wolf. My AR's bolt face is red from the wolf primers and my lack of cleaning.

6. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

The only wolf ammo I will shoot is 7.62x39, and sometimes 9mm.

7. SnipeThemIraqis

SnipeThemIraqis New Member

Terrorists, Fascists and Nazis are ANTI-GUN
    IIRC Wolf also fires a steel bullet that is not copper jacketed but rather, copper plated. I hope you guys firing these non-jacketed steel bullets have chrome lined barrels otherwise you are dramatically shortening your barrels life. I'd stay away from anything Russian made (cept military surplus).

8. oakie

oakie my ninja.

:rofl:

the bullets arent steel. if they were, they would be too light unless they were putting DU dust in the cores with the steel.

9. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

steel bullets :rofl: :ugh:

10. Brian Fantana

Brian Fantana New Member

Yeah, snipethemiraqis, never talk again.

11. SnipeThemIraqis

they aren't solid steel numbskull, it's a steel jacket over a lead core. Steel rubbing on steel means accelerated wear. The reason why they use copper is because it's soft and the reason why they line the barrel with chromium is cause it's extremely hard and harder than steel. I've got NATO ammunition that has a copper jacket over a steel jacket over a lead core. It's for optimum penetration and minimum deforming. To be a smart ass you need to know what you're talking about morons...

12. soccaian

soccaian New Member

wolf is a standard lead core with copper jacketing... just like normal ammunition. the only difference is that it is underpowered and has a steel casing. jesus guys... you need to learn whats going on. cut a bullet in half every once in a while.

13. oakie

oakie my ninja.

i do know that Wolf ammo is not steel jacketed... that would be an armor piercing round, which is illegal for sale tot he general public.

go back to fucking yourself. it's the only thing you know how to do well.

14. SnipeThemIraqis

:squint: Look you fucking dipshit, I was merely pointing out that STEEL bullets put abnormal wear and tear on a STEEL barrel. And you're obviously too fucking dim to pickup on what I was saying (must be cause there isn't much light with your head that far up your ass) there is junk ammo coming out of Russia that is COPPER PLATED to deceive people who are buying it into thinking it's a copper jacket over a steel jacket bullet, but it's not, and it'll wear a non-chromium lined barrel down remarkably fast (like a piston in a cylinder of a car that has no lubrication). Copper plating is NOT copper jacketing (I would've guessed you morons would know this, but apparently everything needs to be spelled out to you clueless kids) and does nothing to prevent barrel wear whatsoever. Try telling me the NATO military surplus ammo I've bought with a copper, then STEEL jacket is illegal dipshit :ugh2:. Go take a magnet out, and stick it on some bullets of yours. If it sticks it's got steel or iron in the jacket (do you need an explanation on magnetism too?). So if it's not this Wolf garbage it's some other low cost, low grade Russian trash. Again, as I said before, get a fucking clue, then try to be a smart ass. You want to save a few cents and fire cheap made Russian crap in your guns go for it. I'm sorry you think so highly of this low grade crap, then again you probably have low grade guns, and are a low grade shooter. Knowing how good the Russians are with quality control, their ammo is probably overloaded, underloaded, and has corrosive primers stuffed into a few of them. Resume "fucking yourself" with your junk ammo you ignorant sack of shit.

CleanGTI I hope you got the information you needed from my post about the Russians making copper plated steel bullets to deceive buyers (cause it's cheaper to do). Ignore the insults, those were for the neaderthals that lurk on this forum and pretend they know things.

15. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

16. oakie

oakie my ninja.

i'm sorry, did i interrupt you while contradicting yourself again?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2005
  17. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Since I have some of mine sitting a few feet away... magnet doesn't stick to the bullets on my Wolf ammo...

18. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

The steel is used on the cartridge cases not the bullets.
    Some say is is tougher on the extractor but AR extractors are easy to replace so I am not worried.
    I did have some trouble with .45 Wolf in a match barrel so don't buy a case before you find out if your gun likes it.

And the US Army used steel cased ammo in WWII so it can't be all bad.

19. Dim

Dim I'm Lost, Help Me OT Supporter

I use the wolf stuff in 7.62x39 and 7.62x54R. I like it a lot, shoots just fine and costs a buttload less than comparable U.S. ammo. Never heard of a range not accepting it until now but the whole reselling brass thing makes sense.

Edit: Oh and yeah, they burn really dirty, but I clean the piss out of my guns every time I use them so it don't matter.
    ~matt

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  20. sushibug

sushibug :happysad:

i was fed bullshit about wolf ammo being dangerous to use. they said it would explode in the gun and you'd lose a finger, etc etc. someone said wolf ammo makes quite a mess so maybe the story is true but most likely it is for selling the casings for reloads

21. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Some wolf DID have steel jackets that were copper plated. Some of them still may. If you look at their jacket materials, some of them say "Bimetal". This indicates a steel jacket with a copper plating. Not two jackets, but one that's plated. I don't think their .223 has ever been steel jacketed, but their 7.62.39, yes.

22. There's nothing really wrong with Wolf ammo, some of it is just bias, but most is for the exact reason people before me pointed out.

I shoot nothing but Wolf 7.62x54R. I used to shoot wolf 9mm in our glock 19 but switched to blazer for that and my Kimber since it's even cheaper than the wolf. My AR gets only Black Hills remanufactured ammo, great stuff for 'just reloads'