WMV stopped working.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Squally, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Squally

Squally New Member

Any time I go to a website with embeded .wmv's Safari will lock up. Also, now if I try to even open winders movie player, it just bounces in my dock forever until I force quit. Can anyone help?

2. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

Basic stuff, all that i have but do u have the latest version? u tried restarting ur computer? Make sure that u have WMP installed. Re-install it (re-download it from online).

3. falconbrad

falconbrad "You're one angry white boy."

I know this is somewhat far-fetched, but have you downloaded the Flip4Mac WMV plugin? I've found that really screws up any webpage-embedded Windows Media file, both audio and video.

4. Squally

Squally New Member

ok, here's a stupid question. how do I uninstall a program? first time mac user here.

5. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

for your first question, if the file is a wmv10, it won't play. I actually turn off the enable plug-in's option in the preferences because I don't like videos embedded in the browser. I just download them to the desktop and play them from there. some files just won't work because wmv sucks.

for your second question, you have to go to your applications folder, find the application you don't want anymore, drag it to the trash then empty the trash.

don't reinstall wmp because im sure its fine. or get vlc...much better player.

6. Squally

Squally New Member

yea, i disable plug-ins too when I'm on myspace and shit since that's mainly where I encouter embedded wmv's. The thing is that even now all of a sudden when I open wmv's I've downloaded, even ones that have worked before, wmp won't open.

Son of a bitch I didn't realize it was that easy.

Yea I have vlc and I'll just keep that and get rid of wmp.

Thanks guys.

7. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Keep in mind that only WMP 9 is out for the Mac where as a lot of files are coded to play only in WMP 10 (windows only). I go to a lot of sites where I can't play the video for this exact reason.

8. Squally

Squally New Member

Yea I know. My main issue is that wmp just stopped working. It won't open on it's own anymore, it'll just bounce in the dock.

9. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

trash it. try a new install or just rely on vlc. also, before you do a new install, do a search for windows media preference files and trash those too.

10. Squally

Squally New Member

Deleting the preference file worked out. Thanks :bigthumb: