GUN WMD, tell me about gun laws in Washington State.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by w00tpoint, Apr 2, 2009.

1. w00tpoint

w00tpoint New Member

But first, congratulate me on leaving California.

Anyways, what are the chances of getting a CCW in Skagit County? And what about buying a gun for my wife? It should be cheaper/easier there, right?

2. Congrats on leaving CA.

Where in Skagit county are you? WA state is Shall Issue, so as long as you meet the criteria for the license, they have to give it to you. There is no training requirement. Just call your local PD to make an appointment and show up with money when they tell you. They'll fingerprint you and make you fill out a form. In a few weeks (or days if you're lucky) you'll get your license. Once you have your license you can buy handguns without having to deal with the waiting period. Rifles aren't subject to the waiting period at all.

Also, you are lucky in Skagit county as Kesselring shouldn't be too far from you. They have a huge selection. Sometimes they give young guys suspicious glances but if you demonstrate you know what you're talking about they'll be nice.

The website kind of sucks, but it'll give you something to look at.
    http://www.kesselrings.com/servlet/StoreFront

3. w00tpoint

w00tpoint New Member

Awesome, thank you.

I don't know where exactly I'll be in Skagit county, but I took a job in Sedro-Woolley. I'll probably live there or Burlington, I guess.

4. Shit, that puts you only a few minutes from Kesselring. I love that area. My parents have a cabin up near Mt.Baker, so I drive up through there all the time.

5. AB13

AB13 New Member

I got fingerprinted on a Wednesday, I received my license the following Tuesday and bought my first gun, in and out the same day.

Also, little known fact about our state. There are 3 instances were CCW is not required in the state of Washington.

1. Lawfully engaged in fishing.
    2. Lawfully engaged in camping.
    3. Lawfully engaged in hiking.

More importantly, they shoot IDPA North Whidbey every 2nd Saturday and is in your neck of the woods I think.

http://www.northwhidbeysportsmen.org/

Marysville also shoots USPSA every 3rd Sunday.

http://www.marysvillerifleclub.org/

And Custer every 1st Sunday of the month.

http://www.custersportsmensclub.com/

Welcome to the North Wet!

6. Yeah. Get into USPSA and come shoot at Marysville. That's only like a 25 minute drive from Burlington/Sedro Wooley.

7. w00tpoint

w00tpoint New Member

:bowdown: That's pretty rad. I would love to get into that. I definitely need the practice.

8. AB13

AB13 New Member

Well, if you like to shoot your gun more than look at it, you're in good company. Market Garden and I shoot quite a bit together. I am the Match Director for USPSA in Renton, which is an hour/hour and a half away from you. And I put on matches every 4th Sunday of the month.

I practice every Thursday night at my club at least. Sometimes Wednesday and Friday nights too. It's easy, and if you don't have the gear I have several shooting rigs you can borrow (holsters, belts, pouches and guns) you could choose from until you can get your gear together. The only thing is you have to supply your own bullets.

BTW, MG you shooting Paul Bunyan this month?

9. w00tpoint

w00tpoint New Member

I'll definitely be bugging you once I get settled in up there.

10. Paul Bunyan is the 12th, right? I should be there. I have a 2 day carbine class this weekend. I had a 1 day class last weekend.

11. When are you moving?

12. AB13

AB13 New Member

Yup, my last warm up match before flying out to TX. Look for me to be pushing the envelope at this match on the ragged edge of control. :naughty:

I'm also thinking about shooting Kitsap this weekend for more practice. BTW, my match this month is a Classifier match. So if you want to try and shoot Limited with your Glock and get classified, bring it out.

13. I'd get murdered with my Glock in Limited. I only have 15 round mags, and I don't have a race holster for it.

14. w00tpoint

w00tpoint New Member

I want to be all moved by May 1st, but we'll see how that goes.

15. AB13

AB13 New Member

Not really. I used to shoot my G17 in Minor with my IDPA gear and kicked some ass. I've even beaten the infamous Peter P. with my Glock in Limited. Heck, Rick B shoots Limited with his single stack using 8 round mags.

16. Maybe I'll give it a shot then. I'll pick up a kydex holster for it, drawing from my leather OWB holster isn't fast compared to even a kydex holster.