GUN WMD, tell me about Browning Hi-Powers

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by spankaveli, Jul 23, 2009.

1. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

specifically 9mm.

what to look for, what not to look for, etc.

go. :o

2. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

If this was the main forum I'd tell you to look for a glock, and don't look for cars when you cross the street......

....but since it's WMD I'll tell you that I don't know anything about Browning Hi-Powers :wavey:

3. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

I have my fair share of glocks. :o

Although I could use another 17. :rofl:

4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I don't care for them that much myself. For a single action trigger it's pretty garbage. I had a good friend that was really into them and he had these really intricate trigger jobs done to them and they still were not very good. Mag capacity is pretty low too even with extensions.

Honestly I would go with the CZ-75sa. It is a similar gun with larger mag capacity and better trigger. Get the CZ competition trigger and hammer from ghostholster.com

5. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

If you collect them, you want the Belgian guns. If you shoot them, the Portugese ones are just fine.

It's fairly simple to remove the mag safety, and doing so tends to improve the trigger.

They can be pricey to have work done on since they aren't a large share of the smith market.

Plenty of references out there as to what mags are decent and whats junk, so check on that too.

6. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Thanks. :cool:

btw pm sent :o

7. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

I have an FN HP. It's a very nice ergonomic gun, but the trigger is horrible. With the mag safety removed and a HP trigger return spring, there is still almost no noticable trigger reset and has ~9# pull.

8. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

ew

9. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

+1 for what Yar said, and I grew up with nice BHP's in the house.

The '75SA platform, specifically, is just a better animal IMO if you are looking for a shooter. Mine all have triggers that even the most diehard BHP guys (like my father) envy.

10. mephistopholes

mephistopholes New Member

I've got an FN Hi-Power. Trigger is actually pretty good on mine. It's got a factory SFS system which is something Cylinder and Slide came up with to allow hammer down carry for the Hi-Power. For the most part, it's an aesthetic thing for outfits that don't allow cocked and locked carry, but it works.

The real advantage of the Hi-Power to me is that is points well and is very comfortable in the hand compared to other pistols I've handled. I expect that is the reason that the proportions of the pistol have been incorporated into other designs like the CZ. I have also read that the Hi-Power can be a bit fragile when compared to a pistol like a 1911, though I haven't run enough rounds through mine to have an opinion there.

11. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I have a pre-war FNH, I love the gun, but hate the trigger, I really wish it was fitted with a 1911 style trigger. Alas . . .

Mine is an early model with the internal 1911 style extractor.

I haven't done much research on them, I got the one I have by inheritance, so love it or hate it I can't part with it.

12. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

My gunsmith friend just picked up a Portuguese assembled one that he is going to work over. He usually does the 1911 thing but decided to change it up this time. The slide to frame fitment is very good and even though the trigger sucks he's got some goodies on the way from Cylinder and Slide to help remedy some of that.

13. soccaian

soccaian New Member

i'm not a fan

14. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

I have an FN Hi-Power that I really like. I got it off a co-worker for $415 with one box through it. Trigger isn't as good as on my 1911, but it's also nowhere near 9#, that's just nuts.

I can carry it in the same holster as the 1911 which is a huge plus.

It's also the gun I took to Fighting Pistol last year and the only "malfunction" I had was when my self-installed sights came off. :o

Otherwise flawless operation. Never had any malfunctions except what I deliberately induced.

I asked around and everyone only seems to recommend the Browning mags for it, which are like $40/ea. from Brownell's. :sad2:

[​IMG][​IMG]

15. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

I'm going to check out a fellow shooter's 75B-SA at the match this weekend and see how i like it.

16. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

At least one if not the only reason for that is because they have ejection assist springs on them.

17. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

I've had great luck with Mecgar mags. I believe they have 13 & 15 rd mags. Both have works great in my FN.

18. mephistopholes

I got five FN magazines when I bought the pistol. I did find a Browning OEM magazine locally selling for a mere $65. I had to check it to be sure it didn't have an HK logo on it somewhere.

Here's a write up on available magazines for the Hi-Power. I went with the Mec-Gars when looking for extra magazines.

http://www.ont.com/users/kolya/bhpmagfaq.htm

Stephen Camp has a good website with lots of information on the Hi-Power that's worth checking out.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/index.html

19. snoodles

snoodles New Member

freaking love my hi-power. smoothest shot i've fired from a pistol (not that i've fired a whole lot). carried a 9mm hi-power as my concealed for about a year. a little big and heavy for a conceal, but shot dead on everytime.

20. JaimeZX

:cool:

Of course, it almost doesn't need to be said that it's Moses Browning's second great pistol design and worthy of any man's collection in a spot next to his 1911.

21. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

I'd like to have one.

22. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

this. But I'd definitely pull the magazine safety from it. That shit is just stupid, IMO.

23. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Was the mag disconnect in the original design?

24. mephistopholes

Good question. Browning died while designing the gun which was then completed by others so its questionable if it was originally intended to be there. It is possible it was added as a requirement for a buyer similar to to the additional safeties on the 1911.

25. JaimeZX

One advantage it might have would be that if you were in the process of being disarmed and you could hit the mag release then the BG couldn't shoot you with your own weapon if he didn't know.

A cop in Canada did this. :o