GUN WMD seems like the place to ask

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by [DWI], Mar 26, 2007.

1. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

A home security related question, I was discussing this with a friend today who is currently in the process or selling a house (and showing while living there.) Anyways they question came up is really how secure are those lockboxes they use at the houses, you know the kind that you attach to the door knob. Personally, the idea of key sitting on my door is well not worrysome, but I am would be aware of the fact.

So has anyone heard anything about these boxes?

the specific one is question is one of these.

http://www.geindustrial.com/ge-interlogix/supra/keybox_systems/ae2.html

2. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

I am not a burglar so I am not sure if they work. Most of us would just take out our AK-47s and blast the lock apart. :o

3. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

12 ga breech shell ftw

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If someone wants in bad enough they will get in.

I'm not familar with the type you posted, I've seen the other ones that you mount somewhere to store keys and it has a keypad to open it, I would not trust one of those.

5. Small Block LSX

:werd:

I've seen those too. If someone wants in they will get in. I've also seen the entire doorknob deals that have the keypad built in. :bowdown:

6. Small Block LSX

That works too.

7. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

If I was a burglar I probably wouldn't waste my time on the box with the key in it. It'd require you to be outside the front door, usually a highly visible location, and making a lot of noise trying to break open the box. I'd much rather just break into a back door or window, knowing that I will be making just as much noise, but I'll at least be gaining immediate entry. The downside to the keybox is that a potential burglar will know that, if there is an alarm, it'll most likely be turned off.

Also, if the burglar has the technology capable of disabling the key box then he was going to get in anyways.

8. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

dawt

It's probably about 100 times easier to kick the door in than get into that lock

9. DaJMan

DaJMan When i was young, i dreamed of being a baseball

:werd: putting my criminal hat on; if i wanted to break into a house, and when i got there saw that there was a key box on the door, i wouldnt change my plan of breaking a rear window to get in, tho i would maybe relax a little because its almost a surety that no one will be at home.

10. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

I pretty much agree with everyone else in this thread, burglars arent a big concern for the reasons stated above. The only other thing I would be worried about is an untrustworthy real estate agent or other person with the code to the box. However since he is still living in the house while showing it the real estate agents should see that the house is listed as shown by appointment only so they are aware that someone may be home. However I don't see a problem with redundant security and there's no harm in propping a chair under the door knob just in case.

11. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

:werd:

My local gun shop once had a thief that broke through their outer side door, but was stopped by the inner door that simply had a big wooden plank wedged under the door nob.

12. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

It's something I picked up from my dad, he would always prop a chair under the door at hotels. I never really thought much about it until someone tried to get into my room while I was in Santiago a while back. I have no idea if they actually had a key to get in and the chair stopped them or if they where just drunk and had the wrong room and wouldnt have gotten in anyway but eitherway I was glad that chair was there.

13. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

If someone wants in your house they will get in your house. Nothing will stop that but a firearm. It's easy as pie to break in an unattended home.

14. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

A fair percentage of the time that I see a FOR SALE sign or one of those lockboxes on a door, the place is empty of both residents and posessions, so breaking in would be a waste of time.

As others have alluded to, defeating those lockboxes is not as efficient as kicking down doors, breaking windows, spreading doorframes, etc. Hell, if you want to break into a place without forcing an entry, bumpkeys are readily available for all common keyways.