GUN WMD school me on FFL

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by cabriolet, Dec 10, 2007.

1. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

I've recently come across a possible opportunity to open a gun store/range. What do I need to know?

Begin:

2. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

guns are awesome

3. KNYTE

KNYTE I'm Not Kidding.

It's hard, and will only get harder.

4. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

How do you make a small fortune with a gun shop?

Start with a large fortune

5. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

Is the form for a type 01 available online somewhere, I couldn't find it on their website?

6. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

Actually looks pretty straight forward, just takes about 6+ months to actually get the license.

7. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

i see what you did there

8. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

I don't think that is that bad if you have a storefront, it is hard to get for the "kitchen table" dealers.

You do have to keep really good records, may have to show proof of a security system, etc.

9. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

Thanks for the actual help.

Security system, and a safe shouldn't be a problem at the retail location I've come across. I can't find any info online of their requirements, and I'm guessing it'll take a few days to get the packet from them.

10. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Also, don't charge an arm and a leg for mail or internet purchases, like both FFLs in my town do. You will drive away more money than you gain that way.

11. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

Have you looked into insurance rates yet? You should get a few quotes before doing anything else, along with pricing out a ventilation system for a gun range.

12. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:werd:

FUCK $100+ transfer fees :ugh2:

13. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

Theplan is to make money in volume sales, not price mark up, and I'll probably focus on internet sales but still utilize the store front. That being said I only want to charge like $10 for FFL transfers just to get people in the store. My goal is to be able to sell a gun in person, for the same or cheaper than you can get it shipped and transferred to you from a website.

Looking into insurance right now actually, the gun range may more may not happen for several reasons, and if it does, it'll be down the road anyway. Right now I'm just trying to get the quotes on how much it would be for the store.

14. SNDP

SNDP New Member

I say make a FUN gun range, something with pop ups and maybe shooting leagues like bowling leagues, little snackbar and such to draw people and let that be the main point of the store.

there's a bazillion gun stores out there, and they are all typically lame. Same plain boring old ranges. However the ONE range around here everyone goes to has the pop up pistol targes and leagues and they drew a ton of people to actually shoot.

You only have to beat your competition by a little bit to win on the pricing part, but in order to get massive sales volume, really look at just how many people have to buy for you to keep your doors open at that margin.

15. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

That's what I'd like to do, and the shop has the room for it, but it needs to be renovated with side and back stops, and make sure there wouldn't be any zoning violations. So the range is just a dream right now. There isn't any ranges with moving targets out here, so I think it would go over well.

The property we're looking at is actually a few miles south of the big town out here, so I'm thinking that if we get certified with the state to do CCW training, we could offer free CCW classes to get people into the store. Then just require they buy the ammo they shoot from us to make a couple bucks, and then try to sell them guns and gear, or more advanced classes and organize to bring people in from out of state, because that's the other thing none of these ranges do.

We also want to make it a goal to make sure everyone that buys a gun knows how to use it and and clean it safely. And actually educate people on the firearms, not just sell them shit to make money.

Another goal I want to have is to actually stock quality concealed carry holsters for all the common guns, because I can never find crap here locally.

16. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

The NRA has a bunch of resources to help people wanting to start ranges, you might contact them and see if they can set you up.

17. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

That's a VERY tough way to make a living.

18. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

I'd agree, but if I was sitting on a nice nest egg after working my ass off for most of my life I wouldn't mind running a nice gun store / range just to pass time once I was retired.

19. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

I don't know if I'm the only FFL (01 class 3/07 class 2) on this board but I can tell you that margins are very, very tight.

20. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

How tight? A friend who's dad used to be an FFL is supposed to be getting my a catalog, that's part of my research into this as well.

Would you mind talking to me about the industry some? Maybe offer some insight?

21. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Sure. I'll PM you my number if you want to talk.

22. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

Awesome, thanks.