GUN WMD, please school me on 9mm AR kits

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by no7fish, May 29, 2009.

1. no7fish

no7fish New Member

So I got this lower off my dad with a parts kit, from there I have no idea what I'm going to do. I want to build a lightweight vintage gun with the short barrel, moderator, no fwd assist, etc, but for that I want a partial fence lower from NoDak. I can build the upper for that and put it on this for now, then when i have $$ go back and build a lower for it, and an upper for this. Then my friend starts talking about making it a pistol. I kinda like the idea. I didn't purchase this one so am I right in saying I can make it whatever I want? Since I didn't fill out the paperwork, and I got it face-face basically from my dad, can i do what I want?

So here's the thing, if I build a pistol I would love for it to be a 9mm but I have heard most of the kits have issues. Are there ones that don't suck? Is it a far more expensive proposition to do the 9mm? Should I just build a rifle 9mm? Or just forget the whole thing and do a .223?

Sorry for the train wreck of thoughts but basically what's the deal with 9mm kits?

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

It has to have been transfered as a stripped lower or a pistol from the manufacturer from your FFL to whoever bought it. This also means if it ever had a stock on it, it's now a rifle and can never be built into a pistol.

Rock River has pretty decent kits. Personally I'd just get a complete upper from them with a bolt carrier and such. You'll need a mag block to fit 9mm mags in, and depending on your bolt, you may need a 9mm hammer. I would look into KNS anti-rotating pins because 9mm is a bit harder on the hammer. A pistol weight buffer is also necessary.

3. no7fish

no7fish New Member

Yeah, it was purchased stripped. I heard the Spike's one is good. What are the pro's and con's of each of them? Are they just various levels of quality in general or do some have real timing issues or something?