GUN WMD help! Mossberg troubles

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by apman0000, Nov 22, 2009.

1. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

Ok, i'm off the Mossberg bandwagon i think lol.

i've owned my 870 for a million years and it's been beaten to death hunting etc and i've only had 1 minor issue with it that i was able to repair.

This fucking Mossberg 500, failed to feed the new shell twice while i was shooting clays last weekend so i took it out and ran the thing through it's paces yesterday, fired about 400 shells and gave it a quick clean every 100.

it failed to feed about 20 times and mis fired once (not sure if it was the shell or if the firing pin just sucks dick)

i tore it all the way down and i don't see any obvious damage or wear (only about 1 year old or so, not heavily used by any means)

with no obvious damage what the fuck would you guys look at or replace to deal with this failure to feed shit???

HELP!!!!!

2. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

I would check the elevator assembly, watch it while feeding to see if it's working smoothly and that it's not catching on anything. Any other details on how it's failing to feed would be helpful, is it feeding at too sharp an angle or not raising the shell high enough or is it getting stuck part way in the chamber?

3. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Details. For all we know you could be short stroking the pump.

4. acoop101

acoop101 New Member

I had those kinds of problems when I first got my 500, I kept at it and now that I have about 1500 rounds through it the problems have gone away. FWIW don't give up on it. Also I had better luck if I loaded one into the chamber then loaded the tube rather than loading the tube and chambering a round.

5. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

it's not taking the shell from the magazine tube, i rack the pump fully and it leaves the shell where it's at. it feeds perfectly when it pulls the shell from the mag tube but it fails to pick the shell from out of there

i don't see any obvious damage (not to say that i'm not missing something because obviously i am)

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Check the stop on the inside right hand side of the receiver. That holds the next shell in the tube. If it worn down enough or not fitted properly it may not let the next shell spring out.

7. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

are you soft racking? dont be scared of it ... rack it like you stroke your wang.

put some force behind it and rack it fully to the rear.

my brothers mossberg was doing this because he was soft racking it.

8. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

Funny, my 500 has been flawless.

9. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

Only had one problem with my beat-to-hell M500 that I treat like trash. The safety stopped working in that it would click back on to safe every time I shot.

Didn't bother trying to fix it, just took the safety assembly out, never used it anyway.

10. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

thanks i'll check it out.

11. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

nah, i was racking the crap out of it trying to figure out why it wasn't pulling the new shell, something is fucked up :wtc:

pisses me off cause it hasn't seen much action, even with the other day it's probably only at about 1000 shells through it, my damn 870 has been hunting and dropped and rained on and fired so many times it's fucking crazy and the thing has held up like a champ, my next shotgun will be.........lol