GUN WMD Help me choose my next handgun

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SlowTA367, Dec 26, 2006.

1. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

I turn 21 next Wednesday :wiggle: so I'll be picking up a new handgun. It will be used for concealed carry.
    Right now I'm leaning towards a G19, but due to my scrawniness, I may have to go with a subcompact. I'm also considering a Sig P229 or a HK USPc.
    I'm thinking 9mm, but I'm open to suggestions.

2. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

I think any of those would be a fine pistol. I'd go to a range that will let you rent or try out guns first and buy whichever one you shoot better or fits your hand better.

3. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

G19 is a good choice. Or G26 if you need something smaller.
    I personally wouldn't recommend that small of a handgun for your FIRST gun, but to each his own.
    I've been looking at Sig P229's and HK USPc .40 for my future CCW gun, and I like what I see with both of them. However, you are also looking for your first gun, so that changes things in my mind, if only a little.

I think it is important to find a gun you can handle well and shoot well at the range... especially if you are going to carry it, you will need to practice shooting it (duh). So that leads me back to the G19 as the better over-all gun for your situation. I got the G19's bigger brother for my first gun, the G17, and I couln't be happier... its just not a great carry gun.

I think you've made a wise decision in choosing (or so it sounds at this point) 9mm for your first gun. This is important because it will usher in your low-experience (sorry, assuming here that you haven't shot many handguns, forgive me if this is not true), but is also cheaper, so you can shoot more. That means more fun, and more experience at the range.

My final answer... G19. Guys?

4. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

I don't think we have any ranges that do rentals. All we have now is the municipal range.

I've shot my dad's G19, and I did pretty well with it. I've shot a Sig P220 and P239 before too, so I assume a P229 would be pretty similar. I shot quite a bit low with the P239, but with practice that's fixable.

5. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

I should also add that I've owned a Colt 1911 for a year now, so this isn't my first handgun.

6. Slick26

Ok... that changes my answer then.
    P229.

7. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

Lol, what makes the P229 a better choice? I'm looking for all the input I can get before I make a decision.

8. Slick26

Well my first answer was based solely on the fact that I assumed you were new to handguns. Since this isn't the case, I think a step up in quality is in store. So you're pretty much right where I'm at right now. And your two other choices, besides the Glock, are identical to mine.

I keep going back and forth between the HK USPc .40 and P229. I hear good things, I hear bad things. My issue right now is that I've shot them both separately, but now I really need to shoot them both side-by-side, in succession. Not a month and a half a part. Thats like narrowing two cars down and test driving them almost 2 months apart... not really a fair comparison.

Right now, the only reason I personally would choose the P229 over the HK at this point, is because I have a friend that owns the HK, and I'd really rather have some else. Not that I care if he thinks I'm copying him or not, just so we as a group of friends have something else to pass around at the range. It diversifies things a bit. Plus... for some reason, there's just something sexy about the P229 with the tactical rail, I don't know why.

The downfall of the P229, for me, is its heft. For a smaller handgun, its relatively heavy. This hurts its carrying capability for me. But at the same time, its heft helps it while firing. So its kind of a catch-22. Its strong point is its downfall. That and there have been some quality issues with the P226/P229 as of late. But hopefully that will be resolved soon.

Sorry I'm rambling so much... I've had a lot of coffee. And I'm bored at work.

9. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

Hey, ramble all you want. So if I went with the Sig, would I want the DAK trigger (if that's even available on the 229) or not?

Also, the G19 and the P229 are pretty similar in size aren't they?

I'm pretty sure I can pull it off, but its gonna require some new clothes. I'm 5'9" 130lbs, so that's probably the biggest factor here.

10. Slick26

Wow you're skinny. I'm only an inch taller than you but I'm a fat fuck at 235 lbs. :mamoru:

I don't know what action style you want to go with. Some say DA/SA is the way to go. Some say DAK/DAO is the way. I personally really like the consistency of the DAK. I already have a Glock, so DA/SA is covered for me. Plus, for a carry gun, DAK has its strong points. But some people don't like it. Thats why you need to try different things.
    Just my personal opinion, but if LEO's go with DAK with Sigs... I would too. They trust it for a reason. But it really does come down to personal preference.

The P229 is a little heavier than the G19:
    P229 = 32oz loaded.
    G19 = 29.98oz loaded.

Sooner or later I'll own both a Sig P229 in .40 and a HK USPc in .40. For me, its just choosing which one to get first. Since you want to stick with 9mm, out of those two, the P229 seems the better option. But thats JUST ME.

11. Slick26

As far as clothing and carrying goes... it all comes down to holster.
    Accord seems to swear by his new Milt Sparks VM2, and so does everyone else that's bought one. I've begun to look into them, and have come to the conclusion that its the holster to have. So being a skinnier guy, IWB carry shouldn't be an issue for you, with a good holster like a VM2. But you'd still want to cover your bases and have a little bit baggier shirt on the outside to hide any protrusions... shouldn't be an issue though.

12. lt1aggie

lt1aggie what?

I don't have much to add here other than the fact that I thought I had my heart set on a g19 until I discovered the walther p99. Really fits my hand way better than a glock, and it was only 50 bucks more.

13. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

Is that weight for a 9mm Sig? That's really not much difference.

I think tlhe main reason Glocks are on my list is my dad. He's a local LEO and Glocks are the only semiauto that he's ever carried, he just sold his .45 and picked up another G19 (so he now has 2). Quite possibly the biggest Glock sackrider I've ever been around.

Sig is on my list because my friend's dad is a federal agent and carries the P220.

14. Slick26

That's definitely another one to take a look at.
    Just stay away from its S&W variant.

15. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

I've heard nothing but good things about the P99, but nobody around here ever has them :wtc:

16. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

The Beretta PX4 also caught my eye, but damn the Sig is so sexy!

17. Slick26

It doesn't say what the weight is for... so who knows. I doubt it would be much of a different between them. Since 9mm is the standard for all three guns, they are probably going off of that platform.

The main reason I recommended something OTHER than the Glock was BECAUSE your dad already has one (now 2 apparently), so you have somewhat access to them if you'd like. I'd want something different, so when we go to the range, I have more guns to shoot. Plus, who knows, maybe you'll inherit one of those guns in the future... lol.

18. Slick26

Not trying to steer you away from Beretta's or anything, just giving my personal opinion again... but I don't like Beretta's. Although that Px4 does look pretty cool. And the brand new Ninety-two, or 90-Two.... or whatever they call it.
    I'm just not a Beretta fan. And they're both full-size guns... so concealment will be tougher.

19. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

I'm gonna go to the gun store tomorrow and see if they've got any Sigs I can look at, and what kind of price I can get. I went today and the bastards were closed.

20. Slick26

Unfortunately, the Sig is those most expensive of the bunch we've discussed.
    Go figure.

21. lt1aggie

lt1aggie what?

Well, I guess that's a problem, but they should be able to order one.

22. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

That's true, but I'm not going to have them order one when I'm not sure if I want it.

Edit: What part of TX are you in?

23. lt1aggie

lt1aggie what?

san antonio (where i am right now) when i'm not in college station.

24. Slick26

What don't you like about the P239?

25. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

Capacity mainly. Though I'm not completely opposed to one I guess.