WMA or MP3?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GTS4eva, May 29, 2005.

1. GTS4eva

GTS4eva New Member

So I got a Creative Nomad MuVo and I have 4gb, So I'm trying to use those 4gigs the bets way. most if not all of my mp3's are 192kbps and the others are all 128kbps. I'm wondering would converting them to WMA make them smaller in size without losing any sound quality? I see the difference in bass between the 192 and 128 but then again its an mp3 player and i got crap headphones.

So cliffnotes, should I change my 192kbps MP3's to WMA's or is the change so small that I won't even be able to add another song?

Thanks

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

no. MP3 and WMA are both lossy codecs, and converting one format to the other will result in a file with the quirks and inconsistancies of BOTH formats.... i.e. sound like crap!

Don't do it. If you want WMAs, then re-import them from their source CDs into WMA, natively. However, do not transcode two lossy codecs.

3. stoliohranj

stoliohranj beautiful fucking tits man

it'll sound like ass. don't do it. its not worth the space gains and the hassle of converting all of them. and since i'm not oblivious like jolly ogre, there is a very good chance you don't actually own the cds so re-encoding them from source is probably out. even if you did have them, the time that it would take to do all of that wouldn't be worth it. just add and remove stuff as your desire to listen to different tracks change.

4. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

In my opinion WMAs have too much loss in them to even consider using them.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

from my tests, WMA > MP3

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Be aware that I have had several issues with that MP3 player and WMA files ripped directly from my own CDs.

7. GTS4eva

GTS4eva New Member

Alright well I don't have that many files anyways, I just wanted to use it also as a USB key since it has 4gb and im only using 3/4 of it... Thanks everyone i wasnt expecting much but I wasnt really sure which one was more compressed because I see everywhere that mp3 players hold more WMA's then MP3's...

btw 5gen prelude whaty kind of problems did u have on em, you recommend to rip as an mp3 if i take them from my CD's?

8. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

The player would turn off as soon as the track came up - and not consistantly either - sometimes it would work. I believe it might be because of VBR but I didn't try any further experimentations since VBR worked fine with MP3.

Edit: I did try those exact tracks on my own MP3 player and it worked fine.