Wizards in LOTR

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Cyber0066, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Cyber0066

Cyber0066 New Member

Someone was telling me that the wizards in this story don't have the magic commonly associated with other wizards. Like shooting fireballs etc etc.
    I was wondering this myself as well since Gandalf was such a "powerful" wizard, couldn't he just cast some spell to kill off all the enemies?
    So could anybody explain how the wizards in LOTR differ from the other wizards I'm more familiar with.

2. staffer21

staffer21 Who? What? I don't....

I could be wrong, but I think that Gandalf can't use his magic powers against any mortals. He can only use them against things like the Ring Wraiths and and the other wizards.

3. Pro Street

Pro Street New Member

I love the Arda site :cool:

Five of the actual "Wizards", aka Istari, or Maiar.
    Saruman, Gandalf, Radagast, Alatar and Pallando.

4. Tomash

Tomash Active Member

The Valar sent the Wizards (Saruman, Sauron, Radagast, and the two blue Wizards who went East) to indirectly aid Men and Elves in their fight. They were forbidden from using their powers directly.

5. Pro Street

Pro Street New Member

only Gandalf was assigned the men and elves, Radagast the animals I believe.

6. Jaron95

Jaron95 "Gattai" dattou?!

7. Kansas

Kansas Rise and destroy.

Tolkien once said that Alatar and Pallando might have been captured by Sauron and used against the humans and elves during the War of the Ring...

8. Tomash

Tomash Active Member

Didn't know that. I read that they went off to the Eastern Middle-Earth and spent perhaps elevated themselved to a status of gods to the people that lived there.

9. Kansas

Kansas Rise and destroy.

I always wondered how much having Radagast in the movie would have made things different... After all, wasn't he the one who sent Gwairhir to save Gandalf from Orthanc?

10. Jaron95

I don't remember now... was it? He was used by Saruman to summon Gandalf to Orthanc so he could spring his trap, right?

11. Tomash

Tomash Active Member

It was more like he was tricked by Saruman into doing that. He wasn't exactly the brightest one in the order, so he wasn't able to see through Saruman and his plans.

12. Kansas

Kansas Rise and destroy.

Well, Saruman told him to send for Gandalf... so Radagast was an unwitting tool of Saruman; he was not under some spell of sorts...

When Radagast realized what had transpired he made it up to Gandalf by sending Gwairhir...

13. Jaron95

:bigthumb:

14. Kansas

Kansas Rise and destroy.

Sadly, Radagast is pretty much absent during the rest of the book...

15. Tomash

Tomash Active Member

:hs:

16. Buckwild

Buckwild Active Member

Didn't Galadriel send Gwaihir..and not Radagast?

17. Kansas

Kansas Rise and destroy.

no, it was Radagast...

18. Kansas

Kansas Rise and destroy.

Also known as Radagast the Brown. One of the Istari, along with Gandalf, Saruman, and the IthrynLuin.

Radagast appears seldom in Tolkien's histories. Less powerful and wise than Saruman and Gandalf, his special province--as a Maia of Yavanna--was the flora and fauna (especially birds) of Middle-earth. Though it was felt by some that--becoming too pre-occupied with such concerns--he too failed in some way, he was well-regarded by Gandalf (but not by Saruman), who thought him a "worthy wizard". In any case, it is unclear to what extent he was involved in the affairs of the WhiteCouncil (though he was aware of Sauron and the Ringwraiths, and their significance--and perhaps also of the Ring); and he did not appear to have been as well-travelled as Gandalf or Saruman--he does not seem to have ventured very often west of the MistyMountains.

According to some sources (Unfinished Tales), Radagast was chosen by the Valar to be the partner of Saruman on his journey to Middle-earth. But if Radagast believed that Saruman was a friend, he was deceived. Saruman grew to hate Gandalf, but this hatred was borne of pride and jealousy, and fear; Radagast he scorned as an inferior, even if he hid it well. Nonetheless, he (probably) made use of Radagast's birdlore, and learnt the tongue of the crebain of Fangorn which he employed as spies.

In June of 3018, Radagast was sent by Saruman on journey north into Eriador, to locate Gandalf and summon him to Isengard. It is not recorded how long he spent in this journey, or where he travelled before he came across Gandalf on the North-SouthRoad south of Bree on Mid-year's Day, but clearly he had little knowledge of those lands. In an essay titled "Where in the Wild is Gildor Inglorion?" Michael Martinez suggests that Radagast might have had some contact with the Elves, and so warned them of the coming of the Black Riders. He was not wise enough to see through Saruman's deceits (and so warn Gandalf to be on his guard in Isengard), but it was by virtue of his special relationship with birds that Gandalf came to be rescued by Gwaihir.

Radagast dwelt at Rhosgobel, a village or place at the edge of Mirkwood, near the Carrock.

Radagast's name comes from name of a Slavic god and means 'glad guest'. See http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radagast

19. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

may to resurrect a nearly year-old thread! :bigthumb:

20. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

LMFAO. 3 posts and a AV, thats a first.

i was also wondering how this thread could have this many posts and me not see it.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2004
  21. Acesn8s

Acesn8s The Deadman's Hand

My take on Radagast being fooled by Saruman is that Radagast is essentially guileless. He deals with animals. Animals don't lie. Thus Radagast would have no reason to consider questioning Saruman's motives.

As for the wizards tossing fireballs around and what not, (this will be a general statement of my interpretation) the Gods didn't send Gandalf to Middle Earth to fight the battles. He's there to coach and guide those willing to listen. When confronted by other supernatural beings (Ringwraiths and Balrog) Gandalf is able to cut loose with his power, but men, orcs, and goblins must be dealt with in a more conventional way (Glamdring).

God I love these threads. Holla Middle Earth crew!

22. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

:rofl: I didn't even look at the dates. I was thinking "How the hell did I miss a LOTR thread? :confused: "

23. Acesn8s

Acesn8s The Deadman's Hand

:eek3:

I missed that too.

24. baboymo

baboymo Have you been circumcised?

Tis quite alright......as most of the threads are quite open to discussion. Feel free to bring up any thread as it pertains to the subject. :wiggle:

25. Tomash

Tomash Active Member

Holy fuck, this is one old thread.