SRS withdrawl?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by DanM, Jan 17, 2005.

1. DanM

DanM Guest

I've been on vicodin for awhile now do to a really bad car accident and serveral surgurys. About 2 weeks ago I realized that I no longer had any pain so I stopped taking them. Now I feel I really just want to take them because not being on it is making me feel like crap. I was wondering how long the process takes? Is it different for everyone? Just trying to figure out how long im going to have to deal with this.

2. Myst

Myst New Member

I'm not sure I can be of any help. I've never been through what you are going through. My first reaction would be to start googling for info, and to dig out your phone book & call an info or crisis line. Maybe even the hospital or doctors office? I'm sure they would have some experience in these matters, and some advice.

3. fearfactory

fearfactory New Member

I wasn't in an accident, but got some valium from my neighboor. It was strange. Was in my backyard & he comes out w/ all these pills. Tells me to take them 'cause he can't take any more. Started taking those suckers. There were a lot. Took more & more & more...then I ran out. It sucked. Couldn't go to work - nothing. Almost ordered more over the internet but didn't. Was shaking for two days and affected for about a week.

4. DanM

DanM Guest

Thanks for the replies. I know what you mean fearfactory, feel like shit still. Hopefully it will be gone soon. Any more suggestions?

5. Blue Apples

Blue Apples New Member

I have been addicted to Vicodin, Morphine and Heroin. Withdrawal from any of these can be very serious depending on how much you were using. I personally had more trouble withdrawing from Vicodin than Morphine. I found the best way to get off is by slowly decreasing your intake until you are off completely. Going cold turkey is too much for some.

Good Luck.

6. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

go to a meeting

7. Blue Apples

Blue Apples New Member

Also, I've found that eating a lot of fruit (especially oranges) has helped me believe it or not.

8. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

I agree - a meeting may be your best resource. I don't recommend taking any more pills to "ease yourself off of them" since you've already stopped taking them. Feel free to consult your doctor as well.

9. Blue Apples

Blue Apples New Member

I ask this question with all due respect Nuke, since I am new here the last thing I want to do is ruffle any feathers...

My question to you is, Have you ever tried to withdraw from opiates cold turkey? From personal experience, it is not that easy and going to meetings is great, but I found the depression and physical symptoms too difficult to bear. It's a little difficult to go to work when you're throwing up all day long...

Just a thought....

10. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

If withdrawl is that difficult, it may be necessary to check yourself into the psych ward, or an outpatient/inpatient rehab program to complete the opiate detox. Regardless, the best place to find out what to do about your problem is ... a meeting. There will be more than likely a handful of people who have kicked vicadin, and other opiates and who have been through rehab centers ... successfully. Openly sharing with others about your problems will encourage them to share their experience with you ... and a meeting is the best resource to find those who have gone through what you are about to go through.

11. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

if i had, would it make my point more solid?

i'm just one individual. plenty of people can speak for the cold-turkey approach to opiates. They kick, generally at someone's house who can watch over them, and they get better. Eligh had a good suggestion as well.

12. Blue Apples

Blue Apples New Member

I have been in the rooms of recovery for nearly 20 years and I have found that meetings alone are not enough for some people. Many have found that seeing a psychologist or counselor has an added benefit to the recovery process. Recovery, for me at least, is a mental, spiritual and physical journey.

Having relapsed a few times myself, I know that my addiction is very powerful, very cunning. Addiction is a complex disease and the recovery process can be very difficult for those facing a physical addiction to boot.

The reason I advise against cold turkey is because I personally kicked heroin cold turkey and it took 3 months for me to even go back to work.

When I became addicted to morphine a year after I kicked heroin, I decided not to go through that hell again. I slowly weaned myself off. Most opiate addicts find that they can function (going to school, work, etc) on a daily basis only if they are on methadone or some type of maintanence program on an outpatient basis. Not many addicts can afford to miss work (assuming they have a job) to go into a hospital. I know I couldn't.

Just my two cents.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2005
  13. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

:dunno: Its your opinion and you're entitled to it. I don't know many heroin addicts that really hold down many jobs while in active addiction anyways. I personally think methadone is still a drug.

14. Blazer6248

Blazer6248 Guest

I just quit taking oxycontin after 2 weeks straight and had no withdrawals, while friends have withdrawals after stopping 5-7 days of lortabs/vicodin/opiates