MMA with some high-caliber pride fighters losing in the ufc, what if...

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by crontab, Sep 23, 2007.

1. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

The tides were turned and UFC champions had to fight in the Pride ring with pride rules? Stomping and kicking to the head, no elbows, no cage, etc... Would the Pride experienced fighters dominate?

2. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

i dont really think you can say its the rules or venue that has caused the losses....its been underestimation of the opponents

3. TCMS

TCMS OT Supporter

I think it's a huge combination of everything you listed.

Instead of diving into Forrest's guard, Shogun would have stood up and attempted to drop his patented stomps and head kicks. He also would not have been pined down near the cage.

Who knows, we never will.

4. Gordio

Gordio New Member

IMO, the reason pride was perceived as better was because it was more exciting. Teh fact is excitement comes from when one dominates the other. When two competant people fight, it is more likely to be boring than exciting. The fact most pride fighters fight exciting fights shows how one sided some of the fights are.

I stopped watching pride because I started noticing this. I also stopped cuz pride became a freak show.

Pride fighters are also less complete than UFC fighters. In pride we have mark coleman, randleman, who are 1D wrestlers. CC is a 1D kickboxer. Nog is a 1D BJJer. Most of pride's stars are one dimensional fighters.

5. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

yeah the freak shows and mismatches are what turned me off pride too. plus ring restarts.

6. acidix

acidix Ua mau, ke ea o ka `aina, i ka pono

I think the UFC forces you to train harder. I honestly believe its harder to fight in a cage than in a ring, and its harder to defend elbows than it is to defend head kicks and stomps.

Its a different ballpark, PRIDE fighters were great in PRIDE settings. They come to the UFC thinking, I've fought x y z in the top 10 of mixed martial arts and I won, these fools can't touch me.

Look what happened to Cro Cop, look what happened (no spoilers) in a lot of UFC vs PRIDE matchups now. The UFC forces you to work really hard to win, you not only have to train everything you have to train everything twice as hard.

7. AznFreeballiN

AznFreeballiN mangekyo sharingan

i think its a lil bit of everything. if i were to fight my entire career in a ring with different rules, then come into a cage full of experienced fighters and new rules, i would probably lose too.

8. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

the UFC makes it so the better athlete has a better chance of winning.