with hdmi upgrading to 1.3 etc..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ronin, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Ronin

Ronin Guest

Do you think this will continue?

its a bit irritating when you get something with HDMI to just find out it will be outdated in the near future especially when equipment with HDMI tech is so god damn expensive and its not like a computer where you can swap an outdated part no problem.

are there major differences with each step of HDMI?

if I'm running hdmi 1.1 will i be losing out a lot on the oppurtunities of 1.3? :hs:

2. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

I'd try not to get caught up in the hype over HDMI at this point in time. Don't get me wrong, I think conceptually it is probably one of the better innovations in home entertainment and own several HDMI devices. It is just the implementation of it in it's current form seems to be poor, Im assuming due to the HDCP protocol and the "handshake" between devices.

http://www.hdmi.org/ has a good deal of info.

3. Moistfly

Moistfly Anal Bum Cover

Biggest change with 1.3 is a greatly increased bandwidth, fuller color spectrum, and some audio upgrades ... just remember that the update doesn't necessitate changing everything ... for example if you're receiver is 1.1 you can still enjoy the benefits of 1.3 if your source component supports 1.3

4. james330i

james330i Imported Redneck

yeah, but if the reciever can't do 1.3, it won't support the new dolby and DTS formats - it'll downgrade to regular DD/DTS

personally I'm not worried about it. Regular 5.1/7.1 keeps me happy.

5. jafo

jafo land of entitlement OT Supporter

The update of the spec to 1.3 only is a matter of the hardware manufactures support it right? HDMI cables will not have to be upgraded, correct?

6. Moistfly

Moistfly Anal Bum Cover

No, that's what I'm telling you. Any (or at least all that I know of) HDMI 1.1 enabled receiver (that accepts audio over HDMI) will accept a 7.1 pcm stream ... which means if your player (source) supports the 1.3 spec (which will be all of them as far as I know) it can decode at the player level and send HD audio stream to the receiver over PCM ... 1.3 at the receiver is largely irrelevant at this point.