With all these new Mac owners, who got Applecare??

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Immortal1, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

It seems like a lot of folks are getting new Macs in one form or another. I purchased my iMac G5 in June without Applecare.

I understand that I have up to one year after that date to ahead and get Applecare. So my question to the vet mac users, since I've had my iMac and iBook g4 for >1yr, is do you recommend the extra warranty?

Do you find that things start to crap out right after warranty expires, like a great deal of other products on the market?

I do have Applecare for my iPod but I haven't needed to use it just yet, thankfully.

Please, chime in! :wavey:

2. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

i may buy it right at the end of my warrenty, theres no point in getting it before that...

but even then i prob wont buy it, im pretty careful with my shit. i've never broken a computer before, im not worried baout it now... :knock on wood:

3. DjShiznit

DjShiznit Representing Deutschland, yah.

I purchased a 3yr applecare and 3yr screen protection through compusa for my MBP. I use to work there (repair tech) so I got hooked up :h5: I'd never purchase a laptop w/o an extended warranty, personally. Especially since i travel for work and am always lugging it around in my work bag. I'd probably also get one on an apple desktop, as generic parts are not available for them. I have nothing against apple's track record for reliability, however due to the cost of parts, I think it's a good idea :hs: As for people who "can't afford" one, then they definitely can't afford a repair if / when the time comes. I probably wouldn't get one for a PC desktop, but for a highly proprietary (apple) machine, it's a must, in my book.

IBhatefor"pushing"extendedwarranties

4. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

everyone should get applecare...
    their service is awesome...

5. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

Yea my buddy cracked his screen within 3 months on his Macbook and he got a new or refurb'd one. Don't remember.

6. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

and ridiculously expensive :eek3:

7. DjShiznit

DjShiznit Representing Deutschland, yah.

I'm not totally sure either, but even if it's a refurb, refurb>cracked screen :hs:

8. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

I got applecare with my macbook(3 months old), but not my mini(1.5 years old). Theres so much danger for a portable computer, it's not worth not having peace of mind.

9. Pr0Xima

Pr0Xima SPY ZAPPIN MAH SENTRY!

Worth it for the extra hardware support you get. Shit is bound to break anyways(as long as its not a display :mamoru:). If you have any chance of calling Apple, its nice to have it. That way techs wont be like, uhh, SOL. Trust me, if you dont have an applecare, your going to get told to take it to a store. I used to be on the phone support. Funny listening to people complain about the warranty when its written all over the website and documentation comes with it.

10. ady

ady New Member

Always with notebooks, I know there are people who say you shouldn't need to, and here in the UK things have to be made to last legally but I'd rather pay the few hundred and not have to deal with levels of bureaucracy or the courts over a faulty or damaged part. With Applecare buying it from the start gets you treated alot better than if you didn't. I've thankfully never had to use it on any of my products, but knowing those who have makes me get it.

11. cowmanfred

cowmanfred New Member

75% off applecare if your a student right now

12. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

I can't even count how many times I needed it on my iBook a while ago. Someone tripped on the power cord, ripped out like half of the connector and jacked up my powercord. I had a new one within 2 days of sending in my computer.
    Same with the logicboard (which was later identified as a major problem) but I was one of the first few and I know that procedure would have been very expensive. Also there were countless times that I've called for help, if something wasn't working or what not. It was a G3 so its getting pretty old.

I just got a Macbook Pro and made sure to get apple care right from the start.

13. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

woah. is there like a promo on the site? or does it simply get adjusted in your shopping cart?

14. poweraid

poweraid OT Supporter

15. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

more details? fucking in.

16. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

i just checked the apple educaton site, the price looks normal to me :dunno:

17. Jay

Jay My shit don't stink

:eek4:

18. Jay

Jay My shit don't stink

is this in-store only? I just checked the /education and it's still @ $239 for MBP's

19. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

Details STAT son!

:hyper: :lupie:

20. Kid A

Kid A '06 UK Crew

I've not bothered yet, but I might do it when it comes round to my iMac's first birthday. Just to be safe.

21. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

I'm an old Apple User I got applecare for both my iMac G5 (Scared about all those issues people were having) & from my Macbook (Every apple laptop I've every owned had a problem "Just my luck i guess")

But Yes Applecare for both And the service is great They treat you right

22. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

do it before the one year is up.

23. cowmanfred

cowmanfred New Member

yeah got a new C2D BlackBook and the dude in the store said for a limited time only all instore purchases for students get 75% off applecare. But this is in london- check anyway though it's probably every where. didn't even check my student ID.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2006
  24. cowmanfred

cowmanfred New Member

£200 --> got it for £50, they hooked me up.

25. Dysfnctnl85

Dysfnctnl85 IT/Apple/Rotary/(D)SLR Crew

I got the warranty. It's $110 off if you're a student.

You never know when something's going to break, plus it adds to the value of the computer if you plan on selling it; the warranty is transferrable.