Wish me luck - embarking on MBP screen replacement.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dbman96, Feb 27, 2008.

1. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

17" MBP screen is borked. 2 months outside of warranty. It works if I squeeze at just the right spot on the bezel but it appears to be internally damaged.

So I just ordered a replacement LG/Philips panel of the same part number Apple uses ($269 vs. 900 from apple or 5-600 from 3rd party vendors with apple part numbers) and in the process I'll be upgrading from the 1680x1050 panel to a 1920x1200 WUXGA panel like the "High res" option. Hey, why not, right?

Should have the panel; replacement looks pretty straightforward (I've had it apart already). It may require some software beatdown to get Leopard to recognize the new screen (repl panel may not have the same hardware id that the Apple panel would) but it's been done by others before me, so it should be manageable.

Wish this had happened a few months down the road because I'm sure soon the LED-backlit panels from the updated MBP will be widely available, but such is life.

I'm also switching from glossy to matte. Learned my lesson on the glare issue.

Will post pics of progress.

2. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

Is your video card the same one as used for the computers with the high res screens?

3. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

this vid card and the high res display did exist concurrently, so they should get along fine. the only potentially hard part is forcing it to recognize a different display resolution on the internal adapter; some people have it work instantly, others have to use SwitchResX to force it, but once it works, it seems to be problem-free afterward.

4. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

good luck :run:

5. Drloveless

Drloveless Mac Crew

Should work flawless, nice upgrade! and ur right, glossy licks balls.

6. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

:run:

:noes:

Panel arrives tomorrow.

7. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

Sounds interesting. Keep us updated :x:

8. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

OK... got the panel today, they sent me a "100% compatible replacement" which wasn't what I wanted, the matte finish isn't as nice as the one Apple normally uses, so I may return it. But otherwise, it took 2 restarts for the MBP to figure out what was up, the colors were fucked but responded just fine to the built-in calibration utility.

Before:

[​IMG]

During:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

Screenshot before:

[​IMG]

Screenshot after (for high res goodness):

[​IMG]

For under $300, not a bad replacement/upgrade at the same time. Like I said, I may try a little harder to pursue one with the more apple-like matte finish (this isn't glaringly glossy like some, it looks more like an antiglare "filter" rather than the truly "flat" screen I expect to see on a mac.

9. moses

moses OMGWTFBBQ

where did you order it from? easy to do?

10. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

Ebay seller. If you search for "Macbook Pro WUXGA" or "LP171WU1" (the LG/Philips part #) you can find a bunch of them ranging from $260 to $400 and up. It appears a lot of sellers are substituting similar panels from other mfgs though, so I may pay a little more to get someone who appears to be selling the actual correct part number.

Pretty easy job, really. The MBP is the EASIEST laptop I''ve ever disassembled, and everything goes back together really nicely. The only tough spot is pulling the back off the screen because it's just 2 screws and the rest is clipped/friction fit in so you really have to wedge something in and pull on it which is a little spooky. But the connectors are all direct fits for the original connectors. Not every screw hole lines up securing the new LCD to the bezel but I've got 8 screws in so it's not going anywhere.

The screen is NOT what the MBP expects on startup so it didn't work the first time I powered it up, but I plugged an external monitor in, restarted, and it was fine after that. Like I said, colors were FUCKED but I ran thru the mac display calibration and it fell in line perfectly nicely.

11. moses

moses OMGWTFBBQ

hrm, i should look for the 15" one for my 1st gen MBP. i like the glossy screen for some reason.

12. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

glad you got it working :h5:

13. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

There's a whole huge thread on MacRumors with people putting 1920x1200 WUXGA 15.4 screens in their MBPs, but they seem to be having a much harder time of it; since there's no 15" WUXGA factory option their success is very hit or miss between different mfgs of the panels.

14. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

:run:

:infiniteresolution:

15. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

that's baller dude, good work on the repair. :h5:

16. verbal

verbal Active Member

I'm confused by the before and after lightroom screens. Is that the old vs. new? Or is that after calibration?

In for info on calibration.

17. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

he went from the 1600x1050 to 1920x1200

18. verbal

verbal Active Member

Got it.

Is it worth doing the color calibration on the OEM screen?

19. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

I think they do a reasonably good job of calibrating them off the shelf; if you're a pro you should be calibrating with a meter hanging in front of your screen though. The 3rd party screen, on the other hand, just looked like complete ass and NEEDED some tweaking to look acceptable.

20. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

Thanks... I see very little ghetto poor man repair work done in the mac community, so if I have a chance to represent by doing my own repair / upgrade and still coming out at 1/3 the cost of having Apple fix it (and still cheaper than applecare would have been :x:), I at least feel somewhat vindicated.

21. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

on the subject of calibration, here's a really great donationware app that helps you calibrate your screen better than Apple's built-in tool. I used it on my desktop LCD with great results. Tried it on the MBP screen and wasn't quite as impressed, but it still did a good job.

http://www.bergdesign.com/supercal/

22. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

hell, any time you can save money while buying something apple-related, that's bragging rights :o