Wisdom from Wendler

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Phineas Q Stork, Oct 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

Jim,

Opinion
    My experience has shown that the average guy can pretty much strength train practically any old way & bench 4 & squat 5. But I feel to make the jump to benching 5 and squatting 6 or 7 two factors consistently come up in articles, on the Q&A, in my training, and at meets; ONE is a big and strong upper back aiding the bench and TWO is strong abs and low back for squat and deadlift. With out these I feel it’s impossible to get into these heavier weights.
    Facts
    I know this isn’t anything new to you but, I realize that to stabilize the weights and put your self in the correct positions during the lift these have to be super strong. I follow WS and employ its philosophy, to find and improve weakness, BUT
    Question
    How much should be dedicated to upper back, abs and low back before the body will typically become over trained based on a WS template. I know this may be impossible to answer without knowing me and depends on each person, individual work capacity, cybernetic periodization, but these three areas are so pitifully weak on me that I want to quit all ME and DE work and only train these body parts every day until I develop a wine barrel like torso. Keep in mind that I am either to stubborn or to stupid to back off in my training and consistently end up over trained.

Thanks, the tattoo article was inspiring, I am getting tattooed by Alex Nardini in May 07.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joe,
    Here is the best advise I can give you on this and I understand what you are saying:

What no one wants to hear is this - It will take time to build your strength in these areas. It will not happen in a year and it may not happen in 5 years. This is why the strong people are few and far between - because it takes a lot of time, a lot of workouts, a lot of failures, injuries and a lot of shit that few people have the desire to deal with. Yes, there are genetic freaks that don't run into these time issues. But for everyone of them, there are 10 guys that have paid the price of time.

The problem is that you cannot assign a specific volume that will apply to every person - you know that and we all know that. The trick is finding how much you can handle and still make progress.

The deciding factor in all of this is going to be whether or not you have the mind to accept that it will take some time, the patience to stick it out and the knowledge to listen to your body.

Time is your friend, if you let it be. Those that are impatient will never rise.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good times had by all,
    Jim Wendler

2. forum95

forum95 Come see bout us OT Supporter

some day you will bench over 135 :eek4:

3. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

I'm gonna have a respectable bench one day, then I will come back and laugh at all!

Just give me another 10 years

4. SquirtRussel

SquirtRussel OT Supporter

common sense i guess

glad im still young

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.