wireless woes. please help if you can.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Essence, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Essence

Essence New Member

**************WHATS ALL INVOLVED*******************
    So I'm staying at my parents house for a few months(yea i know FTMFL). They have had some "professional" come and install a wireless network that ultimately sucks ass. This house is pretty large, approx 7500sq ft, and in the center floor is the main computer which had a d-link wireless-g router installed with the gayest looking antennea thing i've ever seen in my life.

I brought my computers and xbox360 with me and was going to long onto their network in the lowest level of the house in the living room of that floor. The room that all my stuff is setup in is about 100 feet across from where the router would be. The signal coming from that router just doesn't make it that far, plain and simple.

They call the "professional" to come put an access point in the ceiling, also a d-link. This works moderately for the computers downstairs, but for the wireless adapter on the 360 it blows. It won't connect to most games although it shows my friends list and lets me watch videos off of xbox live.

So I decide that a wireless N router by linksys will be the best way to go, since i have always been partial to linksys, figuring that wireless-n's strength will be enough to get i through the solid floors involved. I also get a wireless N network card for the desktop computer downstairs. The connection between this downstairs computer and the upstairs one is kind of subpar, but even it connected a low or poor it seems to access websites really fucking fast. A LOT faster that before actually.

I think that the most connection loss was between the router and the access point.

************THE QUESTION**************
    How would I need to connect my new linksys router to the d-link access point installed somewhere in the ceiling(i've looked for a while and cannot find it anywhere)?

Anyway to communicate with the access point via wireless to get it to communicate with my new router? T

The access point's SSID was dlink and the SSID of the router is Linksys. I tried simply changing the SSID of the router to dlink and no dice as of yet.

sorry for the lengthy post, but i was trying to not leave out any details

**CLIFFS**
    New wireless-N router, 3 story house, old dlink access point that i can't find, need it to boost the signal enough to get to the other end of the bottom floor. help!?! :hs:

some pictures for reference?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

why did you remove the jacket from the patch cable?

3. Essence

Essence New Member

i didn't do shit. that was what the guy had installed before i got here.

that is a "power over LAN" unit which i am not familiar with. its BWL-P200

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I assume you guys use some baluns or ethernet-based telephony?

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

dd::wrt does what you need by putting the linksys router into a "client" mode where it will wirelessly connect as a client to another AP. depending on the linksys model, it may or not be supported by dd::wrt.

6. Essence

Essence New Member

alright i'll look into it...

i just connected to xbox live and played a few games with 3 out of 4 bars connection instead of the 1 bar i had with the wireless g and access point.

only thing is, i can't pull up the games people have played, well i can, but it doesn't tell what their gamerscore points are in, oh well, thats fucking minor anyways. i'm not going to bitch, at least i'm online