Wireless Signal Degraded

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dissonance, Sep 14, 2009.

1. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

So, in my old apartment my router and HTPC were back-to-back on oposite sides of a crappy wall. Now in my current apartment the are on opposite ends of the apartment with 1 wall/closet in between and a distance of about 30/35 feet. My HTPC sits on the floor behind my tv stand between 2 floorstanding speakers and surrounded by dozens of wires and speaker cable. The HTPC has an old LinkSYS PCI wireless-G card and I use a ZyXEL X-550 router.

In my old apartment I was able to stream video/etc just fine, now the video stutters every 5 minutes or so (which I believe is a noise/interference problem). I was wondering if something like this would help my situation:

Cisco Small Business HGA7S High Gain Antenna for R-SMA Connectors
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124156

Looking at it, it seems to be made to replace the router antenna but I was wondering if it would work/improve the antenna on my wireless card? I've never messed with the antenna's before...

Note: All other wireless devices (2 cell phones, 2 laptops, XBox 360, PS3, Wii) have no issues with the wireless signal. The XBox, PS3, and Wii all sit on a component shelf next to the tv between a speaker and the sub.

2. eideteker

eideteker Who jarked off in my frakkin' coffee? OT Supporter

I may catch hell from the C/P purists/ballers for saying this, but look on eBay for cheap antennae with the same connector. You could likely find a decent deal and get four antennae for the price of that one Cisco-branded, retail packaged one (which is most likely a rebadged cheapo one anyway). Replacing the two on the router and the (just guessing) two on the PCI card would have the most effect on communications between those two items.

Also, look into third-party firmware for the router. If you can run DDWRT/HyperWRT/Tomato on that router, you could increase the TX power and possibly negate the need for new antennae.

3. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

hmmm, may have to check out eBay. My wireless card only has 1 antenna so I suppose that would just make it cheaper to replace.

Aso for the router firmware, I don't think there is any 3rd party but I haven't checked in awhile. These are the advanced settings the ZyXEL firmware offers, anything usefull?
    [​IMG]

4. eideteker

eideteker Who jarked off in my frakkin' coffee? OT Supporter

Transmit power is already set to "High" (whatever that means in actual mW). I'd still try the eBay antenna route, just to see what it gets you...three antennae won't cost much at all, so it's worth a shot.