wireless security at my school

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Budha, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Budha

Budha Guest

When I go into the huge hub at my college, its a big wireless network. I can see other peoples macbooks and mbp's on finder, when I try to connect to them, I cannot. Is there anyway I can make sure no one can come into mine, and even make it invisible to other users? Thanks I appreciate it.

2. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

sharing in system preferences, turn off everything you dont need. if you are extra paranoid go and turn the firewall on.

3. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

seeing as how the OS X firewall automatically opens ports for service you share, you should always have it on anyway, unless you know what you're doing with networking and have a specific reason for leaving it off. Security is layers, and the more, the better (generally).

4. Budha

Budha Guest

Ok so on the firewall tab, I need to set it to, "Set access for specific services and applications" ?? And if that is the case, what services should I select?

Sorry I'm used to windows where you just select firewall on or off.

5. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

You should have the firewall on regardless, not just if you're paranoid.

6. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

if there is anything in there that you use tick it, otherwise leave them off. you dont really need any of them and it should already match any services you left on in sharing. there is also stealth mode under advanced, you can tick that. but I would leave block UDP off personally.