wireless routers?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Krazy, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Krazy

Krazy OT Supporter

n/g/b/whatever

i'm looking for a router that will transmit medium range distance through 2 concrete walls.(i'm guessing a lower frequency will work better since i'm an audio aficionado and know that lower frequency sound travels better through solid objects.)

my 1st gen linksys N router is giving me tons of shit and i'm ready to throw it off the top of a tall building.

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

3. 7960

7960 New Member

I have a newer linksys N on the 2nd floor of my house. It goes over 70' through 2 floors, 4 plaster/chicken wire walls, and one concrete garage wall, so I can get reception in my garage.

4. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

hmmm, that looks interesting.... what do you mean by "same gird"?

I assume you don't mean circuit but power grid, as in if you have multiple buildings, they must be on the same grid

5. 5Gen_Prelude

Not the same circuit, but they should be terminated in the same electrical room. I mean - it just stands to reason that the signal will degrade the more junction boxes you go though. It tells you not to do this, but I tried it anyway and that was to use power bars on both ends. That did not work. When I removed one, the signal came up but it was pure crap. When I removed the other bar, clean as a whistle.

So without knowing exactly what the poster's setup is, I can't say it would work for him, but it did for me - everything is terminated in the same breaker panel though.

6. 5Gen_Prelude

BTW - it's fast enough to stream tv shows to the PS3 - I haven't tried HD content yet.