Wireless router or USB network card problem?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Gen5_EG, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Gen5_EG

Gen5_EG :)

Our office has a Linksys wireless router. However, during the day our connections get dropped frequently with our desktops and laptops. However, different people are complaining of different things and I'm not sure how to approach and check for things. Here's the scenario in which I tested:

1. IBM laptop with internal wireless card: works about 95% of the time and connection is great. Not much dropping of connectivity at all.

2. Dell desktop with Netgear USB wireless network card: works about 80% of the time.

3. IBM desktop with Belkin USB wireless network card: works about 20% of the time. When starting the computer in the morning, there's no connection. Have to unplug the USB and re-insert it to get a connection. Even that doesn't work. Have to restart several times before it holds the connection. Releasing the IP works, but it seems to not want to renew or repair when I click on that option.

4. Dell desktop hardwired: works 100% of the time. Duh.

So is it the Belkin or the Linksys router? Keeping in mind that the laptop runs pretty well compared to the Belkin and it's on the wireless.

Any ideas on how to approach this?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

office? linksys?

I stopped reading there.

an office should not be using anything linksys.

But netgear and belkin are equally shitty. replace em too.

3. Gen5_EG

Gen5_EG :)

....thanks for the great help. I only work there, not the fucking president. All I asked was for suggestions. Replace them all won't cut it with the bosses.

4. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Visit the manufacturer's website for each device that is giving you issues. Download and install the latest firmware (if available), especially for the router and USB adapter.