Wireless Router help please!!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by m4m4 l0n9, Aug 27, 2006.

1. m4m4 l0n9

m4m4 l0n9 Well-Known Member

I have Net Gear WGR614, and when I cick "Basic Settings" in my router settings, I put in my ISP username/password in ISP info, then apply. I then am in 'Router Status" and click connect I waited 30 mins while it was "Trying.." and nothing ever happened. I don't know what's wrong, can anyone help?

I don't think I updated my firmware, if so, how do you do that? I went to the official Net Gear site and I saw my router but there no where to download an update?:confused:

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

what is your ISP? Is it PPPoE or DHCP? Cable or DSL?

3. m4m4 l0n9

I think DHCP?

DSL

4. m4m4 l0n9

How can I tell if I have DHCP or PPPoE? It shows them both. :dunno: and why does it show a MAC address? I'm on a PC.
    [​IMG]

5. plat

plat New Member

when you didn't have the router did you have to use a little dialup program to connect?

6. m4m4 l0n9

Nope. Well, I do have DSL and it connects to phone line...

So we have to put filters on the phones lines. :hs:

7. plat

plat New Member

then you probably have DHCP so turn off PPPoE in the router

8. 7960

7960 New Member

No, you didn't just say that. Did you?

9. m4m4 l0n9

I did wizard setup and it told me that I have PPPoE.

10. m4m4 l0n9

Huh?

Hence why I posted this in the Computers and Programming forum, and not the main forum...

And you're a mod on here? :hsugh:

11. bptillman

bptillman New Member

he said that cuz a MAC address is media access control address of your network card in your computer....all computers with network cards have a MAC address....it has nothing to do with being a pc or mac computer

12. 7960

7960 New Member

I can't believe I'm replying to this...... MAC stands for Media Access Control and has nothing to do with using a PC or a Macintosh computer.

http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/ASCC/documentation/macaddrss.html

Yes, and I will accept your forthcoming apology.

13. m4m4 l0n9

Yeah, well I'm new to all this router lingo stuff. :hs:

14. m4m4 l0n9

This has been sitting FOREVER at "Trying..."
    [​IMG]

Is it because I don't have a wireless card installed to make any signal with the second computer?

EDIT: It says IDLE in that pic but it went to "trying.." and nothing happened

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if it's DHCP then you don't want to use PPPoE -- which is what that status page is for.

16. m4m4 l0n9

I did all that and never worked.

I have learned a new thing today though, I have learned that I didn't even NEED NET GEAR. I have router in my modem! :eek4: It's 2WIRE.

17. Boogieman117

Boogieman117 PSN: Boogieman117

If ISP = DSL, then set to PPPoE.
    If ISP = Cable, then set to DHCP.

18. 7960

7960 New Member

If he sets his netgear to DHCP then he's screwing himself because he just found out his modem is also a router, probably *also* doing DHCP.

I think his best bet at this point is to call his ISP (or read their website) and see how to configure a router specifically for his modem/ISP.

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

WRONG, again!

DHCP/PPPoE is a choice to be made for the *WAN* interface. If his modem divies out an IP via DHCP, then he needs to router set as that. He may not *need* another router, but it is certainly possible to do.

So explain how he's "screwing" himself. Other than you giving him bad advice.

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Again, wrong!

Cable is *usually* DHCP.

DSL, however, can be a host of things... none of which is any more common than the other. I have used DHCP-based DSL. I have used PPPoE-based DSL. I currently have a third option, PPPoA-based DSL.

21. 7960

7960 New Member

You're so quick to want to find things wrong with what I say that you're not reading what I wrote and letting your ignorance show even more than usual.

He said his modem is also a router, which means it's *probably* (and I used that word in my previous post too) set to DHCP so it can dole out addresses to PCs in his network. If he runs a line from that router to his net gear router and also sets that to DHCP then there will *probably* be problems.

At least make an attempt to understand what someone writes before trying to shoot it down.

22. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I hope that you are in NO WAY employed or comissioned to perform networking or routing tasks in any official capacity or for anyone other than yourself. You (lack of) knowledge hurts my brain, and more importantly, you hurt OPs who ask legitimite questions.

DHCP is simply a way to DYNAMICALLY assign IP addresses. If you believe that a router cannot accept an IP via DHCP from another router over it's WAN interface then you need a severe refresher on how a network works. The notion that two routers cannot communicate directly with each other would prohibit the internet from ever existing! The internet works only due to the ability for numerous routers to route traffic between each other.

I can setup two, three, four, even FIVE routers, each with their WAN port plugged upstream into the LAN port of the router above, with the last router being connected into a working internet connection, and i will be able to (successfully) browse the internet even down on router number five. The only indication that I've even going through five routers will be evident from a traceroute, and an increase in hops, or a decrease in the TTL.

In fact, there are numerous times when running two routers can be *benefitial*. One such situation is exactly like what the OP is describing! Many ISPs have come to the realization that users WILL employ NAT-enabled devices to share broadband connections. To increase customer satisfaction, many ISPs are now issuing NAT-aware devices. Such examples are 2wire (as what the OP is using) along with several Actiontec devices (of which I have three). Unfortunatly, these devices have severe deficiencies in many features. Most of them security-oriented. Actiontec, for example, supports port forwarding, but not port triggering -- which is not only more secure, but also more robust in light of DHCP lease reservations not necessarily assigning the same address. Using static IP assignments, or DHCP permanent reservations can (arguably) decrease overall security. My Actiontec devices also have a deficiency in wireless security. Their built-in WiFi supports WEP, but does not support WPA-PSK. I prefer WPA-PSK, so I choose to use a 3rd party router. By using the integraded DMZ function in the Actiontec NAT-enabled device, I can plug a 3rd-party router down-stream from the modem, offloading all other routing, port forwarding/triggering, and security measures to the more robust 3rd party device.

This requires two routers to work together using DHCP!

23. 7960

7960 New Member

1. I know what dhcp is
    2. please activate two dhcp servers on the same subnet and get back to me on what happens
    3. the internet could most certainly exist without dhcp

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

1. apparantly not.

2. Where did ANYONE say they're on the same subnet?!? This is where you demonstrate your ignorance! Plugging the *WAN* port of the 3rd party router into the LAN port on the modem creates ONE subnet. The LAN ports on the 3rd party router become a SECOND subnet. There are TWO DIFFERENT SUBNETS here.

3. No. It's well documented that without DHCP and NAT, the internet as we know it today could simply not exist. Even with NAT and DHCP we are exhausting our available IP space. IPv6 has been created to address this need, in the future.

25. 7960

7960 New Member

omg, configured the way you have it, you got this one right. In my home network I have a router and another wireless router I'm only using as an AP. The way mine's wired up I have to have dhcp off on the AP(router). Each of us is talking about a valid configuration.