Wireless router advise

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by [DWI], May 26, 2006.

1. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Right so a friend's family has asked me to help pick out a wireless router for their new house. I normally uses linksys (I've never had a problem with them) but, I thought I would ask for some input from you guys.

Anyways bout the house. Its a 1880's farmhouse, with a converted barn (bedrooms and such) near the house (connected to the house through a small bathroom). The house is a decent sized 2 floor with a basement maine farm house (most likely plaster and slat board walls). I know there are no external brick or cement walls, but I do no know if there could be lead paint lurking in the walls somewhere.

Anyways they are looking for something that will cover all of the house and all of the barn if possible as well as the back deck of the house and parts of the back yard maybe even down to the lake would be nice . . .

so basically I am looking for a simple router to setup (until I visit the new house in maine there will be no one who really understands all the encryption and such), but the prime concern here is the range, the bigger the better and stronger signal and it needs to be able to support B as well as G (but I am almost positive that all G are backwards compatible to B). Price is a bit of an issue as well,but performance costs and they are going to need performance . . . . so anything fancy that won't really help they don't need no idea if MIMO will help at all with these machines or not, I haven't researched it.

Anyways, I have told them that whatever router they get, they should take the two laptops they have there (a powerbook and a dell, both g cards) and plug in the router in different areas and walk around and test the signal where they will want to use the computers the most. Before they get the internet connection installed (either DSL or cable they haven't decided yet and I have already but in my 2 cent on that issue.)

Thanks guys.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Depends on size of the house. Any wall will degrade signal, but that may or may not be an issue.

MIMO would be a great feature to look for -- range increases are it's primary benefit. Sometimes the range increase can be signifigant. 802.11n routers also are backwards-compatible with 802.11g cards, and tend to get better range. The client card is going to matter, here. Generally, Intel PRO2200BG cards are perfect and get good reception.

Try with a single 802.11g-MIMO or 802.11n router and see where you get. If range is lackluster (especially down to the lake) consider adding better antennas, or running two routers.

3. 7960

7960 New Member

There is no way you're going to cover all that with one router, so take your pick.

1) start with one strategically placed to cover as much as possible and get used to the dead spots, or
    2) start with one knowing you're going to end up getting a repeater to cover the barn/lake area.

JO is right, the client is as important (and in many ways *more* important) as the AP. If the client doesn't have the power to push the signal back to the AP then you're screwed. Pick one that's got some good reviews for range

http://reviews.cnet.com/Belkin_Pre_N_PC_Card/4540-3380_7-31137552-4.html?tag=sub

4. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

the house is 2200 square feet not including the basement.

the has been described to me as a "large room" I haven't seen it, but I would guess 100-200 square feet.

so does anyone a brand of router that also have good repeaters that are easy to setup or as jollyorge mention "better antennas"?

5. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

perhaps someone can comment on this

the one my research comes up with as the best is the Belkin Wireless Pre-N router

it seems to be working with both B and G cards, can anyone confirm if it work with both apple and PC and any comment and/or experience with this model

Belkin also has the N-1 router coming out soon any comments on this

Last edited: May 27, 2006
  6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

belkin routers are pretty shitty.

Honestly, for what you want, Linksys is probably the best bet. The WRT54G has many aftermarket antenna upgrades available, as well as feature-rich 3rd party firmware, if you're into options. Otherwise, you could try one of their new MIMO products.

7. Deevan

Deevan Active Member

With a Netgear WiMax I can go to my communtity pool and still pick it up on my network card... About 1000 ft away.

8. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

for those backing Linksys (which I am partial to)

which is better and what are the differences

wireless G with SRX200
    wireless G with SRX400
    wireless N router?