Wireless range booster

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kev-89t, Aug 18, 2005.

1. kev-89t

kev-89t OT Supporter

Hey

Well I'm moving into a house with some friends and instead of running wire all around the house we want to just use wireless. I have a wireless d-link router but I don't think it will reach all the rooms in the house, so I was wondering what I should buy to increase its range, like a second access point or something, and what one I should buy and where. Thanks guys

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

You could buy second access point and set it up with the same SSID and security settings or buy some long range antenna's.

3. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

4. keleko

keleko yes, he is

an extender will only boost the signal, but if there's something blocking the signal now there's not much a booster is gonna do other than throw what's being sent out up against that blockage

second access point configured to get it's info from the 1st router

but it all depends on the building it's going into, get one and see how it works, then go from there

and 802.11n ftw

5. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Actually, that Netgear extender is a Powerline ethernet device. One end is a RJ45 to power adaptor, the other is a power to Wifi adaptor. Which brings up the question of since when can you get 54mb over house power wiring. Most devices I've seen are limited to 10 or 20Mb.

Some of the other extenders are repeater devices, and most of those are limited to a select few devices they will work with.

6. keleko

keleko yes, he is

been around for ages, only in the last 3 years has the technology become cheap enough and overcomes the problems to be able to sell to consumers

7. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

As much as I dislike Apple, their wifi stuff works pretty well and is easy to setup. Get an Airport as your main router/access point and then add Airport Expresses where needed to fill in the dead spots. The Expresses will get their signal from the main Airport over the wireless link.

8. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Home networking over home power wiring has been available to consumers for a long time (and phone extensions over home power wiring a long time before that). However, it is usually limited to low speeds because of noise and crosstalk (the reason for the "twisted" in Twisted Pair ethernet cables).

There's also the internet over powerlines that the utilities are working on, but that's a different technology.

9. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

This crazy product is stalking me now. I was looking for a review on the WGXB102 but found this instead.

I knew something was fishy.

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Netgear_WGXB102_wall_plugged_wireless_extender_kit/4505-3304_16-31119874-2.html?tag=glance

10. keleko

keleko yes, he is

just bumping my oldest thread i posted in

move along :wavey: