Wireless Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Tabularosa, Aug 17, 2003.

1. Tabularosa

Tabularosa Guest

What kind of software or service would I need on my laptop so that for example, if I was someplace on , (on a bench for instance) campus and wanted to go online I would be able to.

Sorry for the noobie question but I was in a cafe the other day and I noticed that someone was surfing the net on their laptop and now I am wondering how people do that. thx

2. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

wireless cards.

starbucks here offer internet surfing while u enjoy your coffee (via laptop)

3. Tabularosa

Tabularosa Guest

I figured it had to be something like that

So, all I need is a wireless card? Or is there some service that one must get in order to this?

Are the wireless cards you are talking about the same kind that people are using at home in conjunction with a router?

Thx

4. FireIce

FireIce New Member

How much are these cards?

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

The cards are maybe $60. If your campus has a wireless network, all you need is the card. Your OS already has the rest built in. To surf at a Starbucks, you'll need to pay for a T-Mobile hotspot account in addition to the card.

6. The Bastard

The Bastard Guest

Starbucks charges ? I would of thought the price of their coffee would be enough to cover it.

But seriously, wireless is so cool. Buying quality products is the best way to go, as I learned the hard way. If the price difference between a 3Com and a Linksys is small, definitely get the 3com. I have a Dlink and the range isn't that great which makes me regret buying it. It's also possible my router isn't strong enough.. who knows. Get quality stuff!

7. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa