wireless question.....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Trevinator, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Trevinator

Trevinator New Member

I am trying to connect two LANs wirelesly.

The upstairs LAN has a 4 port switch and a linksys wireless router. Downstairs LAN has 24 port Dlink Gig switch and a linksys wireles router. What I need is to connect the two........

Drilling a hole through the floor/ceiling is not an option....

Can I connect two routers like this? If i make one the DHCP server and not the other? They both come with a 192.168.1.1 IP so I changed one to 192.168.1.2 .

Help please.....

2. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

you might be able to turn the linksys router into a bridge. i remember seeing instructions on how to do that, you have to upload some new firmware into it. it's too bad you can't link them together with a wire as an option. i linked my 2 netgear routers together with 1 wire and it works great. the one router now works as a switch and thet can all be on the same network and subnet
    http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=36&threadid=1513386&enterthread=y

3. U Think U Know

U Think U Know OT Supporter

You need 2 Linksys WRT54G v1-v4 (v5 WILL NOT WORK) flash them both to dd-wrt v23. The router where the internet source is will be used as a regular router, the other router will act as a wireless client.

dd-wrt Firmware can be obtained here: www.dd-wrt.com
    Wiki on how to setup the Client Wireless Mode: http://wrt-wiki.bsr-clan.de/index.php?title=Client_Mode_Wireless

Make sure to read all the flashing directions carefully before you start.