wireless problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by D1G1T4L, Oct 13, 2003.

1. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

i have dlink and my wireless router is downstairs, when i go upstairs (and even sometimes downstairs) the connection is always Very Good but it disconnects me like every 3 mins...... (when i use linksys ethernet card) when i use Dlink card, it seems to always work

the network is 802.11b

2. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

are you using XP?

I had a similar problem with two wireless cards, one was older and did not support XP's zero wireless configuration. I searched around the internet since I initially wanted to find out how to activate this on the older card but I found that many people have problems such as the one you are describing (I guess in severe cases, it can cause loss and reacquisition of wifi signals several times per minute).

Then I tried to change the configuration on the newer card (the one having problems) so that it would not use zero configuration. I'm sorry that I cannot remember what exactly I did but I know I had to try several drivers before it worked and my wifi connection has been consistently good ever since.

You can get more info about this from MS, I remember that I read through this and it didn;t help much specifically but gave me some broad ideas:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/columns/cableguy/cg1102.asp

Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck.

3. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

yes i have windows xp, and i am not sure this is an old card? cause i just bought it at comp usa

4. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

i'll try looking for new drivers though

5. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member