Wireless problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kev-89t, Oct 1, 2005.

1. kev-89t

kev-89t OT Supporter

Alright, this is a little weird but maybe you can figure out what's going on. My friends set up a wireless network in there home and it worked great for everyone for the first few days, but then this one girls laptop stopped connecting, no only that it stopped detecting the wireless network all together. Now it's not a problem with the card, b/c she's brought it over here and it will connect to my network fine and everything, but for some reason it won't find that one at all. It's a D-link router, if you guys have any ideas it would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2005
  2. 01000101

01000101 New Member

ive had issues in the past with d-links being retarded just out of boredom.

it would be really hard to tell you how to fix it without knowing more.
    can everyone else still connect to the dlink? did someone set up wep or mac filtering etc on the router? is someone playing a joke on her? etc

<tech desk> reboot everything </tech desk>

3. kev-89t

kev-89t OT Supporter

Well no one is playing a joke on her I can tell you that, and no one set up mac filtering or a wep, they didn't even know how to get into the control panel, and infact I still don't think they do. But even with a wep it would still show up in the wireless network tab, hers just says no available wireless networks found. And I have reset everything, but it still won't find the connection only on her computer.

4. 01000101

01000101 New Member

so her computer is the only one that cant connect to her wireless, but her computer can connect to your wireless?

sorry man, dont know what to tell you

5. kev-89t

kev-89t OT Supporter

I know it's so fucked up I can't figure it out. It makes no sense at all it has to be the d-link but I don't want to her to go buy a new one and that not fix it.

6. 01000101

01000101 New Member

ive never dealt with dlink customer support, but maybe they can offer some insight linksys has great support

7. 01000101

01000101 New Member

gah. offtopic 9.0 is being retarded. there were carriage returns in there. and where the hell did the edit button crawl off to?

8. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

The issue may very well lie in which piece of software is managing the wireless connection. I always like to use the built in Wireless management in Windows XP. It's much better then say that of Dlink, linksys, Intel etc.

Try that to check to make sure that windows is managing your wireless networks go to start control panel > network connections > wireless connection > right click properties > general tab > properties > WIRELESS NETWORKS > Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings.

9. kev-89t

kev-89t OT Supporter

Yea, I checked that, windows is doing it's job, but it won't detect the signal at all, it says no wireless networks in range but there is, and it's only that one network it won't find, I mean it really makes no sense what-so-ever.