Wireless Networking question that i can't figure out.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Layne Staley, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Layne Staley

Layne Staley New Member

I just moved to a new apartment and need some help. The area I have my computer isn't close to a cable jack at all so to get on line I have to drag 15 feet of cord across the floor and it looks terrible.

I bought a wireless router and wireless PCI card and installed them and was quite upset to find out that the router itself still had to be wired to the computer, requiring that I still drag the cord across the living room and totally defeating the purpose of having a wireless setup.

So my question is, how do I set this up so it will work? I just need a wireless access point behind my TV so my computer will work. Do i just need a wireless modem or something? Thanks.

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

You must have something setup wrong...

Wireless routers include built in swithces, so you can either hard wire a machine to it, or use the wireless...

You may have to go into your routers config page to turn on and setup the wireless. Take a look in the manual for the router for help on that.

If you install the wireless NIC card and make sure wireless is turned on in the router, you should be fine...

3. Layne Staley

Layne Staley New Member

All the pictures on the setup CD and the instructions say that plugging the router into the computer is the first step....then your OTHER computers in your home or network can use the wireless connection. Are you saying that I should be able to have my cable modem and wireless router on one side of the room by themselves and my PC on the other side of the room and it should work with no wires at all?

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Ah... sorry about that...

What you may want to do is hardwire your machine to the router to run the software and configure the router and then you should be able to disconnect it and use the wireless.

Yes, you will be able to have the router and modem across the room and use the Interent without any wires running across the floor.

5. Layne Staley

Layne Staley New Member

Sweet ass. Let me try that now. I'm excited again.

6. Layne Staley

Layne Staley New Member

Yay its working. Thanks cmsurfer.

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

No problem...