Wireless networking question.... please help!!!!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by trickdaddie, Apr 24, 2005.

1. trickdaddie

trickdaddie Official Transmogrification Technician

Why is it that I can access my Laptop from my Desktop, but not my Desktop PC from my Laptop? I realize there are a myriad reasons, but everything is setup properly. When I go to network places on the laptop and click "view workgroup computers" it tells me that the network path was not found. I am running XP Pro on the laptop and XP Home on the desktop. Using Linksys Wireless-G router with built-in centrino wireless on the Thinkpad. Network auth. is set as WPA-PSK and data encryption is TKIP. Everything worked for about 1 day a few months ago. Printer sharing and file sharing both worked. Then the next day it quit working. I got tired of fuckin with it so I let it go until now. Anyone have any idea why it will work one way but not the other? Seems strange.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

could be windows firewall (you are sp2, right?) could also be client/server is disabled in the interface props.

3. trickdaddie

I know that the windows firewall allows file/printer sharing. (this may be really stupid question) How do you allow client/server in the interface properties?

4. trickdaddie

not sure.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

actually, windows firewall BLOCKS file sharing by default. If you did windows updates and got sp2 after your setup worked, it's possibly the firewall is blocking SMB, now.