wireless network usb connections

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nicotino16, Jun 5, 2004.

1. nicotino16

nicotino16 New Member

my parents bought a wireless router, and im getting a wireless usb port for my computer, and i was wondering if anybody had any experience with any of them, the cheapes one i found was 35 bucks at best buy for a brand called like blitzz or something like that, but im thinking i might just go with the linksys one for 55 bucks just to be safe, its a 2.4 ghz 802.11b router, any suggestions?

2. igotyofire

igotyofire New Member

i have the linksys wireless router and linksys usb wireless network card, id say they work ok, ive had problems with the router tho around my telephone. I think if i could do it again i would have choosen netgear, i heard good things about them. currently im sick of the wireless disconnects so im running a 100ft of cat5 directly in,heh looks tacky in the house but oh well i cant be havin lag spikes in gamming or what not. But personally im not familer with any other setup so i dont know how well anything else would work. what kind of W-router did your parents get?

3. Stev

Stev Active Member

i went d-link on my first install like 3 years ago, i always liked teh USB adapters better then PCI for the ease of u can put them in more suitable locations to get better signal. On PCI u have next to no control cuz computers cant maneuver and go a lot of places.

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I'd stay away from the Linksys USB adapters. In one house I worked in, there were two computers downstairs and maybe 20' horizontal from the access point. There was lots of open air between the computers and the access point so I thought it should have been a slam dunk. The machine with the Linksys USB adapter only got 1 bar of signal if I held the adapter high above my head. The Fujitsu laptop with integrated wifi got 4/5 bars and worked great sitting on a table a couple of feet away.

USB does have the advantage of being able to reorient the antenna. But USB is more flakey than PCI and taxes the CPU more which is bad for gaming. Netgear makes a PCI adapter with an external antenna. Something like that would be the best of both worlds. http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.php?prodID=212&view=

5. nicotino16

nicotino16 New Member

i have the linksys 2.4 ghz 802.11.b model befw11s4, i think i might go for the dlink usb adapter, its only 35 or 40 bucks, im not going to throw down a lot of money, ill probably only use it a couple months, but my comp is upstairs, almost directly over the access point though and i want good reception.

6. Stev

Stev Active Member

good luck. the install i did was with some of the earliest 802.11b technology, and its goin thru 3 floors from teh attic, 2 main floors into her room that is the basement, and i have 'good' to 'low' signal but it never loses connectivity. Quite impressive by my standards at least.
    D-Link in general has good stuff.

7. cali2houston

cali2houston New Member

i bought netgear 4 port wireless router. works gr8. Got it for $39.99 with 30$ mail in rebate from circuit city. Easy to config and get it started.

oh and it's 802.11g 54.6 Mbps and it's b compaitble too.