Wireless network - slow as hell - HELP!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by esbenkramer, Apr 22, 2005.

1. esbenkramer

esbenkramer Guest

my neighbour and I have set up a wireless router, and use it to share the net-connection. We both have Thrust speedshare Turpo pro-cards and the router is the same brand (and name apparently). It's switched to 108Mbit/s and we use MAC-filters. No encryption right now. Nobody else uses the network (we checked the log).

Problem :

The router often disconnects us and then immediately logs us back on.
    My neighbour has almost the entire connection. He can download at 400kb/s, where I go about an average of 20kb/s. Since the router is ín his apartment, he has the better connection, but I have been at speeds as high as 400-500kb/s too. Does the router send more to the better connection? What is going on?

If you have help to offer I would very much appreciate it!

Please...

2. hyousif

hyousif New Member

Not the right forum, but ofcourse the signal strength is really important, check these for various locations to see if thats the problem, which it most likely is.

3. esbenkramer

esbenkramer Guest

I know it's the signalstrenght. Is there anyway to override it? I can get really high bandwith, but he sucks it all to himself.

4. hyousif

hyousif New Member

You cant overridesignal strength. It depends purely on any sort of electromagnetic interference between your computer and the router. He is probably getting all the bandwidth because your packets are getting lost in space,andthe router doesnt see them.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you can't "override" signal strength... You need to either move the access point, your client antenna, or get more powerful antennas. I highly recommend antennas with better gain, anyway.