Wireless Network Setup

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Dom418, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Dom418

Dom418 New Member

Tonight, I'm going to attempt to set up our wireless internet network at home. It will consist of 1 Linksys wireless router (using a cable internet connection), one PC (Dell desktop) w/Linksys wireless card (not installed yet) , and 1 Toshiba laptop with an integrated wireless card. PC in one bedroom, Wireless Router/cable modem in another bedroom.

Any tips?? Any thing I need to be aware of or watch out for?? I live in a condo if that matters...

I don't know too much about computers, so any advice would be appreciated.

THANKS!!!!!!!!! :bowdown:

2. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

What does that matter? Except for setup which you will want to do wired wireless will work just fine.

SECURE the access point, WEB, No-broadcast etc... The directions will walk you through it.

Its a simple install...

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I run a wireless card on a Desktop and it's fine. Don't worry about it. Like said above to be the most secure, setup WEP, and disable the SSID broadcast after you're all done. Make sure you change the default SSID too. You can also use MAC filtering for access and so on.

Just a tip and I have seen this become a problem many times... When you setup the wireless card, go into the wieless properties and on the advanced tab, UN-check the box that says "Enable 802.1x Authentication For This Device" or whatever. Keeping that checked may cause the wireless signal to drop on and off. That was at least the case in the wireless network I setup at work and home.

HTH.

4. Dom418

Dom418 New Member

The desktop is in a seperate room from the cable modem.. right now there is a cable running from one bedroom to the other through the hallway, that's why I want to go wireless.