Wireless network PCMCIA cards

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Darren, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Darren

Darren DSLR/Photography/Mac Crew

I want to get a wireless network adapter for my laptop but I'm wondering about the quality of cheaper brands. I have a Linksys 802.11g wireless router so initially I wanted to get a Linksys card but they cost some money. I've seen other wireless cards go for much much cheaper but will there be any quality difference? If it's 54Mbps wouldn't it still be the same speed as a more expensive Linksys card? Suggestions, comments, concerns? Thanks.

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Well, all I can say is that I'm a Linksys fan, but you get what you pay for.

3. johnson

johnson New Member

I just got a laptop last week and I want to know too. Ill be using the card with my friends Dell TrueMobile wireless "router" so I assume a Dell card would work best. The only brand im looking at right now is ORiNOCO Gold Classic because theyre supposed to be the best (from what ive read anyway). I also read the Dell 1150 is a re-badged ORiNOCO.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Well, I consider Linksys to be one of the "cheaper" brands... So get what floats your boat.

The Dell 1150 is a re-badged Orinoco silver, I believe. The range sucks compared to what else is out there.

The Netgear WG511T has had the best range and speeds, in my experience.

5. Darren

Darren DSLR/Photography/Mac Crew

Thanks for the advice. I'm continuing my research for the car that'll suit my needs.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

once you've found your ideal car (I like the S60R), let us know what you decide for the wifi card ;)

7. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

8. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

I just got one of these and i like it, nothing bad is usally really good.

9. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

i have had good luck with surprisingly cheap cards. my d-link was the cheapest in the store (chipset was compatible with freebsd) and works just fine. i have a netgear that also works fine. the linksys in my wife's laptop was a little flakier. the cadillac is my orinoco gold a/b/g, but that is a bit pricey

10. johnson

johnson New Member

11. mhrc4

mhrc4 New Member

i have a linksys card and a microsoft card, and the Microsoft card is better range and better reliability

12. johnson

johnson New Member

Well, I got the TRENDware card working yesterday and all I had to do was install the driver (i didnt use the software that came with it). It detected the network flawlessly at a friends place and then I took it home. I had my laptop on during the drive home and when I entered my neighborhood it detected two more networks. In my living room, it has a full strength signal from my nextdoor neighbor. Couldnt be more happy with the $7 card.