1. Equipment:
    Comcast cable modem

Dynex router (wireless 802.11g)

2 x Dynex PCI 802.11G cards

2 x Dynex USB 802.11G adapters

4 x Dell Dimension Desktops (all with P4, at least 512ram All on XP Home)

All four of the PC's have no trouble accessing the internet.

The Problem:

We for the sake of trying to not cunfuse everyone will call them PC A, B, C, D

PC-A can only see the shared folders for PC-C

PC-B can the shared folders for PC-A and PC-C

PC-C and PC-B can use the printer that is shared from PC-A

PC-D can't see anything. There are not any folders in the network places folder. It is next to the router so it runs a wired connection into the back of the router.

I just want all the PCs to co-exist, all shared folders viewable on all PC's, Printers available on all PC's.

Is there a configuration tool out there i can DL so as to make this easier.

I've tried to run the network wizard on all pcs to no avail.

I know that Dynex is not the best company but i went with them again since i've been running one at my home with 4 Pc's for about 4 months without any problems.

A diagram that confuses me, but i hope it helps you.
    [​IMG]

2. sonicsuby

sonicsuby New Member

Have you made sure that all servers are in the same workgroup? It sounds like an OS config thing, not a hardware issue, and I don't know windows all that well. Syncing the work groups has worked for me in the past.

3. sonicsuby

sonicsuby New Member

Can you post the ipconfig /all output from each system?
    Do any of the systems have the windows firewall enabled?

4. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

I recently found www.networkmagic.com

NOTHING THAT THIS PROGRAM DOES CANNOT BE DONE FOR FREE BY YOURSELF.
    Dig?
    That seems to be everyones gripe, that 'Well I can do that I am not paying for an application that just does what I can already do.'.

Fair enough.

Setting up Network Magic is so simple and it just simply works. It will straighten out your network and take all the frustration out of networking for you.

5. Stemby

Stemby Whoooose House? COOOOOOOOOOOOGS HOUSE!

Few questions

are the firewalls on on any of them?
    If so what ones.

Are they all part of the same workgroup/domain?

can you ping them from one another or can you access the when you type in there ip in the run command (windows button + r)?

Cuz it really sounds like a firewall problem

6. awns729

awns729 New Member

Oh man, i had the EXACT same problem prettty much. Some computers saw others, some didn't, some saw others but couldn't be seen, etc.

First thing, check your firewalls (maybe disable them, restart (with them still disabled) and see if that helps. If this does, there's your problem, specifically, with the firewalls blocking NETBIOS and *maybe* other windows networking services.

As to whether unblocking them makes your computer more vulnerable to hackers, I'm not sure how much it does, but it does help with the workgroup crap. Actually, someone wanna answer that for me haha?

Obviously, this is after they are on the MSHOME or other workgroup. (try not to make the wgroup named WORKGROUP, mightttt cause an issue) Make sure you restart the computers, reset the router (probably won't make a difference), and then check the network places and your workgroup to see fi they are there.
    (Anything you're unsure about or that I was unclear about, ask me, or google).

Also,make sure file and printer sharing is on, but you probably already did this.

If this doesn't fix it (personally for me, it fixed it for all but one computer, and that computer could be seen but not see an other network computers. It also happened to be the only non-wireless one on my network). I *think* PC D you'll have to do this for:
    Anyway, then right click my computer, go to manage, go to event viewer, and then system. Then you'll want to check the errors you recieve if any (you'll notice the errors have a red icon with an X in it i think). If you double click on the networkign errors (just check the most recent if there are a lot), MSoft will take you to a help/support link that will *probably* tell you a registry modification that can help you fix all this. Two registry mods I had to do were "irppacketsize" and something involving nodes. If those are your problems, you should be fine once they're fixed. Good luck

if it STILL doesnt work, then geeeez. Post back I'll see what else I could think of that I had to do. But I agree that it's probably a software issue like someone said.

btw, SONICSCUBY! from i-club right? i thikn i have pictures of your 02 out in the mud!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  7. sonicsuby

sonicsuby New Member

I knew I recognized your name from somewhere. Those pics would be the wrong car though. I've never gone haulin around in the mud with any of mine.

8. Stemby

I think as long as you have a firewall at your router(and keep your router up-to-date) you should be fine.

9. awns729

awns729 New Member

ah, im thinking of a diff car. 02 w/ fog lights on an unpaved road and your photos have black borders? are those your pics? cuz i definitely remember seeing them/possibly setting as wallpaper and i'm *pretty* sure i still have pics of your sonic yellow 02 somewhere haha

10. sonicsuby

sonicsuby New Member

Weird I'm not sure. I can't remember taking any pics in the mud though :confused: I don't think that car ever even saw snow.

11. awns729

awns729 New Member

Still nothing? Make sure they're still disabled after a restart! And make sure you do that restart, it might make the difference. Check the right click on my computer --> mangagement thing i posted before?

sonic, haha maybe i'm thinking of another car, sorry. i definitely remember you from i-club, and acutally i found OT through i-club too, haha

12. Stemby

including the windows?

13. sonicsuby

sonicsuby New Member

WEP or WPA != firewalls.

14. peerk

peerk New Member

15. awns729

awns729 New Member

Yeah, but there's gotta be a reason Norton 360, McAfee Security Center, and PC Tools Firewall Plus Free Edition all blocked it, I figure. I had to go in and manually change it to find my computers in the workgroup to get shared folder access and printing across my entire network to work. What a painnn! I've got WPA2, antivirus/firewalls on all of the computers, but it just makes me feel unsafer you know? haha So I gotta wonder if it's just them protecting us from a MS security loophole that's really not as big of a deal as they make it, or if its legit an important service to block or at least restrict access to?

edit: also Tristan, if you have AIM and wanna do troubleshooting through AIM, since I had a veeery similar problem, feel free to IM me at awns729, if you still can't figure it out, cuz my similar problem took me a week of troubleshooting at least, and it's just now working properly 99% of the time.

edit2: allllso, you might not see theshared folders, but if you DO see a computer in the workgroup, when you access it thorugh the workgroup window you most probably should see the shared folders that way. that happens in some of my computers, the shared folders don't come up under my network places, but do trhoguh workgroup. i'm totally throwing out a guess here, maaaybe when your stuffs allworking okay, if you run the network setup wizard it maybe *might* update My network palces to reflect on all the computers' shared folders?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  16. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

When I have problems like this I usually setup a common user/password on all the machines.

17. Stemby