Wireless Network Help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cunninglinguist, Jun 9, 2003.

1. cunninglinguist

cunninglinguist RAEPERQUICKING

I'm trying to set up a wireless network for a friend, but I'm running into a problem. I bought a Netgear wireless router w/ 4 port switch. His Dell laptop has a Wireless card built in and uses a Dell True Mobile Station to connect to a LAN/WAN.

I connected everything correctly and I actually got the laptop set up through the router, but everytime I restart the laptop, the settings reset and I am not able to get online. I can still connect to my network, but I get the wrong address assigned by the DHCP server (the router).

I also bought a netgear wireless PCI card to go into another desktop. That PC also picks up the network, but cant get online as well.

What could be the problem? The laptop is using XP home and the desktop is using 98.

2. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

If all else fails you can just scrap the DHCP and set the IP's manually like I did. :dunno:

3. cunninglinguist

cunninglinguist RAEPERQUICKING

I tried but that was no help. It's really weird. When the router assigns an IP, it gives 192.168.0.2 to the laptop, which is fine. However, when you restart the PC, the assigned address I get is 192.168.2.4, which isnt even in the allowable range of IP's that the router assigns. It just really pissed me off, I was at it for hours with no luck.

On the plus side, I somehow managed to get into someone else's wireless network in the area, but thats not exactly my goal here.