Wireless Network Coverage

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mav2005, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Mav2005

Mav2005 New Member

Hello,

I have a user with a two story home including the basement. Their cable modem and wireless router are connected to a PC in the basement. They have a second machine upstairs, which uses a wireless card to connect to the network. The computer upstairs can maintain a connection for a time and then it will drop the connection and say no signal. They use a Linksys router. Already they have purchased high gain antennas for the router. Any ideas or hardware I should try? What about a range extender ?

Thanks,
    Lance

2. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

Linksys wirless routers are notorious for this. My friend's linksys would drop all the time, you'd have to power it off and factory reset it for it to work again. t sucked having to re-configure it every time. It would get super hot also.

He ended up buying a new one and no problems since.

3. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Your friend had a bad device or environment. Does not sound like Lance's problem unless the other users of the Linksys access point are also getting disconnected and they need to reload it after each instance...

What make/model of NIC do you have on your machine? I have dealt with similar issues by replacing the clients NIC with a model that had a remote antenna. Making sure the remote antenna was in a good location. I usually use a Cisco AIR-PI21AG-A-K9 but they are pricey (but they have always worked in similar situations)

4. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

It's also not a bad idea to try changing the channel that the network is on. I think linksys defaults to channel 11, most of the time when I change to channel 1 I get less drops. You can experience drops more often if you have wireless devices (phones) or microwaves in the general area.

Older linksys devices may need a firmware update which caused problems similar to what your friend is experiencing but not exactly the same -- it was more of a complete drop of all connections (ethernet AND wireless). Regardless I'd check the firmware at http://www.linksys.com and update if neccessary.

Another thing is that Windows XP runs a service called "Wireless Zero Configuratoin" -- it is basically a POS and should be disabled if possible. Wireless cards/adapters come with their own software to connect to a wireless network. The problem is that their software will fight with this "Zero Configuration" thing and cause connectivity loss.

After connecting to the wireless network try disabling the service and seeing if it ever drops. To get to it go to: Start -> Run -> Type: services.msc scroll down to the Wireless Zero Config. services, right-click and stop the service.

There are a number of reasons this could be happening but the above have helped me in the past.