Wireless Network Cards

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by IAMwhitey, Dec 16, 2004.

1. IAMwhitey

IAMwhitey New Member

I am looking to get a Service based Wireless Network Card... IE Sprint, Verizon...

anyone have any experience with any of these services with any of the companies i mentioned? Just looking to see what company has the best coverage and also the best speed.

thanks

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I'm assuming you're talking about 1X service or something similar. My boss has one in his Tablet PC, his is from Telus (the big phone company up here), so I would imagine that it's pretty similar to what the big phone companies down there would offer. It's not particularly fast (nowhere near broadband speeds), but it's faster than a modem and it's more than fast enough for basic email and web browsing stuff. Coverage seem to be pretty good, I think it's supposedly available anywhere that cell phone service is available.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Down in the US things are a little different. The EDGE cards from AT&T are very reliable, but fairly slow. 128Kbps is around the speed for those. Verizon has their cards and they get around 500Kbps on average (I know because I have one) but the reception isn't as good as the AT&T.

I have not used the sprint because I simply hate that company.

4. IAMwhitey

IAMwhitey New Member

i am thinking verizon, it will be used in downtown Pittsburgh so i am assuming it would be fine for coverage

5. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

With Verizon's data service you should be able to get ~144 in just about all places that Verizon has digital service.

Here is a map of where you can get the service that I mentioned:
    [​IMG]

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yes, and in metro areas like Los Angeles, San Diego, Washington DC, etc, you get 768Kbps service. (I average 500kbps in LA)

7. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Yea, they are rolling out a new high-speed data service. Sprint is supposed to be rolling out 1xEV-DO sometime soon too. Of course, soon for Sprint could be 2094.

Right now, ATT Edge is the fastest with any real availability. The new Verizon service is said to whomp ATT's though.

8. IAMwhitey

IAMwhitey New Member

great thanks guys, I am going to check them out tonite at the Verizon store.

In case you were interested here is what I am using them for, I own a web site in Pittsburgh car enthusiasts called pitspeed.com. This year I will be heading to different shows and setting up booths at the events. So I thought what would be cooler then being able to visit my web site while they were at the show. So i am building two kiosks for people to surf my site while they are at the show. And thats where these cards come in, I just have to get a PCMCIA adapter for a desktop and I am in business!

again thanks for the help!