Wireless Neighborhood Area Network - need some help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Yail Bloor, Mar 23, 2003.

1. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

I'm scheming with some of my neighbors to set up a wireless "Neighborhood Area Network (NAN)." The plan is to get the $280 per month commercial DSL connection (6Mb down, 1.5 up) and share it wirelessly amongst 6 or more people in our neighborhood.

I've been searching the web for information on how to do this, but I haven't found much info so far.

Here's what I'm thinking I can do, but I'm not sure if it will work:

One house has the DSL modem and a wireless router/access point. This house will have an external omni-directional antenna mounted on the roof. The router will do the NAT for the other users.

The other participating houses will each have an external directional antenna aimed at the previously mentioned omni-directional antenna. The antenna will connect to a wireless access point, which will then connect their home network to the NAN.

Obviously security is a huge issue, and I'll be looking into this as well.

Any suggestions or advice?

2. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Security is easy really. 128bit WEP and MAC filtering should be fine for home needs. Sharing with 6 people is going to tough, unless you live in an apartment complex or something. How close is everyone?

3. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Like Chris said security will be easy, but distance might be an issue. Depending on what type of antenna you get, it might be OK.

One thing to consider would be the possibility of buying a couple extra IP's from your ISP. You will have to talk to the other people about this. The only reason I say this is that some people might not want to be NAT'ed as it makes some progams a little bit harder to use.

Also make sure that your ISP is cool with you sharing this. Since it is a comercial package it shouldn't be a big deal, but just check to make sure.

This sounds like a great plan and I think would be great fun setting up and admining. :)

4. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

:werd: Check terms of agreement with ISP. As far as I know, this is 100% ILLEGAL and you will be caught.

There was a huge bust in NYC about 6 months ago in a string of apartment complexes. Basically did the same thing, setting up a large-bandwidth WAN, and selling subscriptions to tennants in the apartment complexes.. they all got some nice jail time and huge fines.

5. Ziggy!Talon

Ziggy!Talon Guest

i think if you were careful..you wouldnt get caught.... NAT everyone...and they wouldnt be able to see past your router... all would be well

6. DatacomGuy

Possibly.. but in larger cities major corps have their own 'investigation' staff that investigates setups like this.

Just be careful.. I hear about busts like this on a daily basis. I work with 7 or 8 guys from Time Warner daily. ;)

7. TurboDerek

TurboDerek My favorite meal is horsemeat and rice.

Only problem I can see is if some thing needs restarted. Nothing worst than needing to get out of bed to restart a modem or router at 3:00 am so you can finish polishing the putter, but now you have to call someone to finish you off. Or if the Jones go away on vacation or are at work and something needs turned on/restarted. You could make a little house to put all the stuff in outside with a key that everyone has.

8. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

I'm not worried about the legalities. I plan to inform the ISP (SBC) of our intentions, and none of us is going to be making a profit from selling service. We want to get the highest speed DSL (1.5 to 6 Mb) and share it amongst 3 or 4 people. Each of us will be paying about the same as we currently do for broadband, but we should get better throughput when downloading.

SBC should be in favor of this, especially since 3 of the 4 of us are currently Cox customers and would be cancelling our Cox service.

Great point about having to reboot something at 3 AM, I hadn't given that much thought.

9. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

back to the technical side, do you see any problems with this setup:

DSL Modem -> Router -> Wireless Access Point/Bridge (antenna mounted on outside of house) -> multiple WAP/Bridges with external antennas

Seems to me that this setup should work, but I'd like to be somewhat sure before we start buying gear :)

10. DatacomGuy

Get a good router. ;)

11. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

what router would you recommend? Something inexpensive would be preferable

12. Bubbles

Bubbles OT Supporter

linux router with the windows file shareing ports blocked

13. Bubbles

Bubbles OT Supporter

do u have an old computer?
    install smoothwall on it, www.smoothwall.org, it will get you set up while your waiting for a router or if your not sure how to use a router

14. DatacomGuy

Linux box as a router or a secure 2500+ Cisco. ;)

15. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

I'd like to stay away from a linux solution. I don't want to do much manual configuration because I am lazy.

Smoothwall looks promising, thanks for the link :)

Any reason I shouldn't just use an el cheapo Linksys router?

16. Bubbles

Bubbles OT Supporter

I'd use the smooth wall box and a switch before I'd use the linksys.

do you car if you see the other people in your network neighbour hood.

I do comercial wireless over large distances, I've got one customer thats over 3 towers and 7 wireless radios away. for hime I out a smoothwall box at his location so that hes secure.

17. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

don't care about Network Neighborhood, but I do want to be able to map network drives by IP address so some of the other users can access some of my files