Wireless N v. Wireless G?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SycoPhant, Jul 4, 2007.

1. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

I've decided it's time to move up from b (yea I'm behind). I can get a decent G setup for around $50, or I can pay alot more for N. Is it really worth the money? My router is in the basement, but I don't have a second floor so it's just got to get through the one floor.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

honestly I don't care for N. If I'm going to do file sharing I'm gonna plug-in anyway. And G gets a fairly stable 25Mbps so that's more than enough to stream media, download off my DSL, or do any other casual thing that I'd do while roaming around with my laptop.

3. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

FYI, the finalized version of the N protocol is estimated to be released 2009. The current one is still a draft version.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Get Wireless A. It's got the speed of G but it uses N's frequency range. High speed is useless if the signal has to fight through all of your neighbors' signals.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

A is more expensive and doesn't perform any better than G. It's also much harder to find stuff for A.

6. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

That's basically what I do, I only have one box now and no laptop. Being that you mentioned roaming around I assume no prob w/ walls or floors?

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Yea I roam around my 1.75 acres without problems.

8. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

802.11a can barely penetrate a hollow wall covered in 1/2" drywall. Useless.

9. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

I figure that'd be sufficient for my place ;)

10. deusexaethera

Depends on the amplification of the transmitter. 802.11a is intended for commercial and industrial use, so I guess the designers expected that anybody using that protocol would have their router in a server room and have the signal piped to an amplified broadcast antenna somewhere else. So I still say, it would work fine, but I'll add the caveat that you'll have to provide your own broadcast antenna.

11. DocPenguin

DocPenguin New Member

802.11a is now defunct. It was an interim solution until 802.11g was ratified.

I just bought an 802.11n router (D-Link DIR-655) I've set the wireless to B/G only since none of my equipment supports N yet. If you are going to upgrade, go for the N so you will be ready for the future. My new router only cost me $130 and its N with a GigE switch w/ QOS.

12. deusexaethera

Do we have enough "penguin" usernames up in this bitch yet? You don't see me walking around with "Windows" somehow worked into my username.

Anyway, I strongly advise against buying "draft" hardware. Remember the battle between X2 and K56Flex back in the day? The manufacturers all said that X2 and K56Flex hardware would be flashable to support the V.92 standard when it was finalized, but when it was finalized, it turned out that the hardware was incompatible with the protocol's hardware requirements. I see the same thing happening here. Why do you think it's taken so long for 802.11n to be finalized? Because they're trying their damnedest to make it work with the hardware they initially specced, and they haven't come up with a way to make it work yet, that's why.

13. DocPenguin

DocPenguin New Member

Easy man, my nickname has been penguin since I was a kid (yes I used to waddle supposedly). I have a right to use it :o

14. TankedOutSuicide

TankedOutSuicide These aren't the DJs were looking for...

Yet the drafts of N arn't completly done. Why go for it now since its suppose to have so much more done to it before its fully "streamed"

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Buying draft-N is so fucking stupid. You're giving them extra money and basically guaranateeing them that you'll need to buy another one when N becomes spec. Brilliant!

16. DocPenguin

DocPenguin New Member

I went for it for the GigE switch. If they sold a 802.11g router with one, I probably would of bought that. But considering that the one I picked up only cost me $130, and my old AP was dead anyway, its wasn't that big of a deal...

17. Muchacho_Gasolino

Muchacho_Gasolino New Member

The IT folks at my university supposedly want to switch the wireless networking on campus back to a because it has 12 non-overlapping channels compared to g's three and also uses the 5GHz band instead of 2.4 so it doesn't interfere with cell phones, most cordless phones, or bluetooth.

Do we have enough mysterious Latin usernames containing "deus ex"? The man's proud of his OS, let him be.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  18. deusexaethera

Looks like the argument is leaning towards what I said in the first place.

19. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

your university is retarded. most of the internal wireless cards in laptops being built right now do not not support wireless a, so they would be making alot of people buy an external solution. not cool.

and I thought I read something where the draft N committee or something were debating for a long time whether these draft N products would be able to be upgraded to spec N whenever it was finalized, and they eventually decided that yes, they would be. is the general consensus that they're full of shidt?

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

when I was in school you had to get a Cisco PCMCIA card checked out for the term if you wanted to use wireless. I guess now things are different.

21. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

I bet those were hard times, living through the great depression and all

22. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I modeled my username after this guy:

[​IMG]

Does that count?

23. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yea.... the crazy early 21st centry. It was a different time. :hsugh:

24. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Well, it was a pretty different time as far as wireless networking goes. It hadn't really caught on yet.

25. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

Sort of. Most custom and prebuilt HP, Gateway, Toshiba computers are coming with A/B/G cards now.

Draft 2.0 and newer will work with certified N, but anything previous is hit or miss.